Death Valley Trip Completed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just completed a Death Valley trip with my '96 80.

Miles driven: 2513. States visited: 4. Gallons pumped: 163. High price 4.46/gal (Stovepipe Wells, Death Valley, CA). Low price: 3.29/gal (Vancouver, WA). Highest pass: 8143 feet (Conway Summit, US-395).

Did Titus Canyon, Racetrack Playa, Rhyolite. Already want to go back!

Attached pic is on Highway 190 just West of Towne Pass.

My 80 has about 188K miles on it. Never missed a beat.

More at https://picasaweb.google.com/deanfuller2/DeathValleyTripMarch2011#

and

Titus Canyon - Driving trip - EveryTrail

and

YouTube - Titus Canyon
townepass.jpg

Nice! i'm heading that way on the 19th... can't wait! but my prep list grows faster than i can check it off :eek::rolleyes:

I must not know much. What is the Death valley trip? Because from your pics it is something i want to do. BAD!:)

Wow, you averaged over 15 MPG. Impressive!

Wow Dean! Some really awesome photos- I have actually been though that area quite a bit but never took any pics... truely beautiful!!! Great trip

Good memories

Nice pics. Remind me of when we drove through Titus canyon 20 years ago in a 2wd suburban with 8 people! At the canyon drop in where there was a sign to not proceed past this point were a few little civics and sedans. My dad said let's give it a try. Aired down the tires for the sandy canyon bottom and made it through. Would like to go back and see how the flash floods have changed it.

I really love the desert.

For those that are interested, it is possible to drive from Beatty, NV to the Racetrack Playa (where the moving rocks are) and then to Stovepipe Wells (closest gas) on 1 tank. It's a distance of about 162 miles. I know that's well within the normal range of my fuel tank, but I also know that fuel economy can go down a lot on the dirt, and about 65 miles of the trip is off-pavement. I was a little worried.

The average fuel economy based on the numbers in my first post is very close to what my ScanGauge reads.

Nice. Can't wait to go back...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom