Death Valley Planning - What not to miss thread for the Adventure traveler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Route planning for a Death Valley trip and dont want to overlook good wheeling and must see points. If you feel point of interest on my list are not worthy let me know.

So far on my list -

Titus Canyon
Race Track Playa
Lippencott Pass
Saline Valley
Steele Pass
Warm Springs
Dedeckera Pass - Will my 80 series Land Cruiser fit???
Eureka Dunes
Baily Hot springs

Sub'd...I'm going for the first time this year. I have nothing else to offer... :frown:

Sub'd...I'm going for the first time this year. I have nothing else to offer... :frown:

Your time is running out fast if you are interested in nice weather.

A perfect place to test the new sub tank.

Goler Wash / Mengel Pass for good wheeling.

Yes, your 80 will fit through Dedeckera canyon.

That is what I was thinking, like to see the bristlecones in the White Mountains, but not sure it will be open then?

Sounds awesome, never been. Maybe spring weather will extend later this year because of the heavy winter? Or is early April late?

You guys have a good trail map reference to follow or is your itinerary based off a bunch of internet research or books?

Been brainstorming an adventure for me and the boys, and got a new suspension to test out...

My 100 fits Dedeckera, as did my friends Tundra extra cab with lumber rack, and friends Dodge 2500 Quad cab lol. Titus Canyon, to get into DV and to Ubehebe crater is worth while. The road from the crater to the Racetrack sucks. With that route, bring enough gas to go the equivalent of about 400 miles on pavement (that is conservative, bring enough for 300 for sure, no side trips). No gas at Scotty's castle. Last gas with that route would be Beatty, first gas would be Big Pine. Bristle Cone is worthwhile, but may be snowed in still.

Check yo PM, I will share some not very public info

Last edited:
My 100 fits Dedeckera, as did my friends Tundra extra cab with lumber rack. Titus Canyon, to get into DV and to Ubehebe crater is worth while. The road from the crater to the Racetrack sucks. With that route, bring enough gas to go the equivalent of about 400 miles on pavement (that is conservative, bring enough for 300 for sure, no side trips). No gas at Scotty's castle. LAst gas with that route would be Beatty, first gas would be Big Pine. Bristle Cone is worthwhile, but may be snowed in still.

Check yo PM, I will share some not very public info

Ill be entering from the east side and look to stay on as much dirt as possible. Hope to refuel in Lone Pine on the west side and do the lower half of Death Valley. Then exit the lower East side. I have over a 400 mile range in dirt so Im hoping I will be fine.

Thanks for the solid info

Mengel Pass is fun near striped butte. Not sure if that was mentioned.

The Pfizer mine, geologists cabin and old grinding mill at the top of golers is pretty interesting. If you use the swimming pool don’t get your head under water. There are some drifts of talc in the nearby area.

Gas is available in the Southern Death Valley area, cheapest to expensive, Stovepipe Wells, Furnance Creek, Panamint Springs (outside the park and the Valley,but on the way from Lone Pine)

Last edited:
Going from Lone Pine, you can try to mix in Swansea Road to Cerro Gordo. The road may be rough up Swansea, and the eastern decent from Gordo was washed a couple years ago, but has probably been run-in. With the snow pack this year, probably not doable in March. Check Cerro Gordo's website for access driectly from Keeler. Some Austin hipsters bought the place, hopefully they don't ruin the place.

Going from Lone Pine, you can try to mix in Swansea Road to Cerro Gordo. The road may be rough up Swansea, and the eastern decent from Gordo was washed a couple years ago, but has probably been run-in. With the snow pack this year, probably not doable in March. Check Cerro Gordo's website for access driectly from Keeler. Some Austin hipsters bought the place, hopefully they don't ruin the place.

Cerro Gordo is a privately owned Mining Town located in the Owens Valley near Lone Pine, California. The town was the silver thread to Los Angeles, being partially responsible for its growth and economic development. It features original buildings and artifacts relevant to the town and is open for guided tours, photography groups, mineral and rock groups, schools and historical groups. There are NO OVERNIGHT ACCOMODATIONS. Tour fees are $10.00 per person, kids 5-12 are free. All proceeds go to the Cerro Gordo Historical Foundation 501(c)3founded to preserve and improve the townsite of Cerro Gordo. Our goal is to continually upgrade amenities and keep the town intact to be enjoyed and explored as a true historical site in California. All visitors must check in and sigh a waiver.

Cerro Gordo is a privately owned Mining Town located in the Owens Valley near Lone Pine, California. The town was the silver thread to Los Angeles, being partially responsible for its growth and economic development. It features original buildings and artifacts relevant to the town and is open for guided tours, photography groups, mineral and rock groups, schools and historical groups. There are NO OVERNIGHT ACCOMODATIONS. Tour fees are $10.00 per person, kids 5-12 are free. All proceeds go to the Cerro Gordo Historical Foundation 501(c)3founded to preserve and improve the townsite of Cerro Gordo. Our goal is to continually upgrade amenities and keep the town intact to be enjoyed and explored as a true historical site in California. All visitors must check in and sigh a waiver.

The town is private and sold last year to an investment group. The website makes no indication of who owns it, and the email addy as I remember was the previous owners. I think that quote is from the old website. There are a county and blm(?) road that pass through the town and you have free access to pass through. Everything on either side is private, and there are a ton of No Trespassig sign on the east slope for a ways. If you can get a tour, do it. They have restored the main hotel to period decor.

The town is private and sold last year to an investment group. The website makes no indication of who owns it, and the email addy as I remember was the previous owners. I think that quote is from the old website. There are a county and blm(?) road that pass through the town and you have free access to pass through. Everything on either side is private, and there are a ton of No Trespassig sign on the east slope for a ways. If you can get a tour, do it. They have restored the main hotel to period decor.

I was thinking/looking at coming in the back via the Race track area. Every gone in from that direction?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom