Death Valley (Goler wash/Mengel pass) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.george4wd.taskled.com
I spent about 10 days wandering around death valley a couple of weeks ago. Took lots of video and will eventually sort it into clips. First clip is done, basically myself in an 80 exploring and just having fun - the whole point of going camping.

No silly music track, just me blabbering some commentary and whatever background sounds were present. This vid starts just after spending the night at the geologists cabin through to exiting goler wash into panamint valley.

Fantastic weather and not a single vehicle except a couple of (nice) guys that missed out on getting into geologists cabin first (beat them by an hour or so) and that was as I was driving out of barker ranch and met them heading in.

cheers,
george.

I spent about 10 days wandering around death valley a couple of weeks ago. Took lots of video and will eventually sort it into clips. First clip is done, basically myself in an 80 exploring and just having fun - the whole point of going camping.

No silly music track, just me blabbering some commentary and whatever background sounds were present. This vid starts just after spending the night at the geologists cabin through to exiting goler wash into panamint valley.

Fantastic weather and not a single vehicle except a couple of (nice) guys that missed out on getting into geologists cabin first (beat them by an hour or so) and that was as I was driving out of barker ranch and met them heading in.

cheers,
george.

Nice! How do you have your camera setup?

Nice! How do you have your camera setup?
It's just a gopro 7 (black) and one of the sticky mount bases on the dash (97 model) left of the steering wheel. I'm going to experiment with a mount that would allow it to be higher up so less 'hood view'. It was just an expedient spot to put it that didn't get in the way of the tablet I was running (in the center dash area) with the topos and aerial imagery. Basically a last minute throw it together and head out. I had to borrow my gopro back from my older son when we met up in the mojave preserve...

Was kind of fun with the gopro since I would talk to it, being that it was a solo trip (other than a couple of days interacting with the socal cruiser club) - sign of madness setting in :)

cheers,
george.

It's just a gopro 7 (black) and one of the sticky mount bases on the dash (97 model) left of the steering wheel. I'm going to experiment with a mount that would allow it to be higher up so less 'hood view'. It was just an expedient spot to put it that didn't get in the way of the tablet I was running (in the center dash area) with the topos and aerial imagery. Basically a last minute throw it together and head out. I had to borrow my gopro back from my older son when we met up in the mojave preserve...

Was kind of fun with the gopro since I would talk to it, being that it was a solo trip (other than a couple of days interacting with the socal cruiser club) - sign of madness setting in :)

cheers,
george.
Thank you. I like the drivers view position, gives a good perspective to the audience. It seemed to float separate from the vehicle which was nice, must have been built in gyro software? I was planning on picking up a GoPro for my upcoming trip.

Gopros have VERY impressive image stabilization. Creates watchable video even if the vehicle is swaying/bouncing around. You will be impressed and happy with one.

My son has video of him going down some nutty terrain on his mtn bike and it is smooth and watchable.

cheers,
george.

^ at least an 80 is quite stable when it lifts a wheel (generally). I've had it happen occasionally and only because someone out of the vehicle has caught a picture there's any evidence of it happening, inside I wouldn't even have known.

I'll typically lock the rear if I'm coming up to something that could cause wheel spin, a) to prevent wheel spin and maintain control and b) why rip up the track.

That big rock at the 5:50 mark definitely requires you to judge your vehicle width and placement heading up, especially since I was on my own without any outside spotting assistance :)

cheers,
george.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom