Death Valley Flooding (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Linky worky fine for me:flipoff2:

I'm amazed how many roads are closed out there. I have a 250 mile loop trip planned for the third weekedn of March that involves some of these flooded roads and closed passes - generally north via Cerro Gordo to Saline Valley to Steele Pass and then generally south via the Racetrack, to Darwin Falls.

Anyone have experience with the Cerro Gordo trail or Steele Pass in the spring?

I'm amazed how many roads are closed out there. I have a 250 mile loop trip planned for the third weekedn of March that involves some of these flooded roads and closed passes - generally north via Cerro Gordo to Saline Valley to Steele Pass and then generally south via the Racetrack, to Darwin Falls.

Anyone have experience with the Cerro Gordo trail or Steele Pass in the spring?

Steel pass will be no big deal. It's the lowest pass into Saline and I've never seen it be more than eroded and bumpy.

Cerro Gordo might be more difficult as it goes very high, but if you approach up the main road from Lone Pine or from the back way via Lee Flat, it should be OK. It's a very cool place to visit. THere is a trail that goesNorth along the rim of the Owens Valley that may be a bit sketchy, and still have snow on it. It is impossible to turn around, so proceed at your own risk. The lower part is called the Swansea Grade.

Good Luck

Steel pass will be no big deal. It's the lowest pass into Saline and I've never seen it be more than eroded and bumpy.

Cerro Gordo might be more difficult as it goes very high, but if you approach up the main road from Lone Pine or from the back way via Lee Flat, it should be OK. It's a very cool place to visit. THere is a trail that goesNorth along the rim of the Owens Valley that may be a bit sketchy, and still have snow on it. It is impossible to turn around, so proceed at your own risk. The lower part is called the Swansea Grade.

Good Luck
The Swansea trail is the one we have planned to do. I'm going to take chains just in case and if it starts getting icy at all, we'll turn back. That far south might not be too snowy, but we'll be able to tell where the snowline is before we even get on the trail. The normal road in will be a fine alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom