Events/Trails Death Valley Feb 11-14(15) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Called the park to check on the fire situation, GOOD news, wood fires are allowed as long as they are in a fire ring off the ground. So lets plan on bringing some wood!

On the food situation, if anyone wants to plan some kind of potluck feel free, generally seems like most bring more then they can eat and there is always enough to go around...

The plan is to get to camp on each day while its still light and enjoy camp with plenty of time for dinner and socializing. Friday is the only day we might be pushing it, I am tentatively planning to camp at homestake dry camp, which is around the race track because I remember it being a large area with room for all. But we can always pull off somewhere else if we are running behind. Lost Burro Mine is another spot...

Remember no campfires in the park unless in a campground.

I might join y'all or run into you out and about.

Last edited:
Is it still happening 11-14FEB or is it 18-21FEB? The thread title says one thing and the original post says otherwise...

The 18-21 is cancelled and running the 11-14.

Before you posted on the fire situation, I searched the NPS website, see link. We should discuss offline if there is concern. I plan to bring a propane pit. Must be a local ranger control thing.

Didn't know if people were aware of fees. and group size. We can discuss at Trona if concerns.

Yea saw that same thing, when I called they said without saying it explicitly, as long as we are being responsible, using fire pits, not gathering wood from the park no one will give us trouble, but yea a propane option wouldn't hurt to have on hand.

The fee part is another one of those things, I've been there tens of times and that's never come up. Probably good idea to have it just in case.

There’s a lot of confusion on fires in the park (I work for the Forest service and I’m confused) I was told no fires in the “back country” which is dispersed camping in the park. Then I asked about propane fire pits and was told those were ok. I never got clarification on solo stoves or washer drums since they do not scare the earth.
I’ll do some research and asking around.
You can pay park fees online I believe

I have a propane fire pit if I need to bring one as well.

The subjectivity of all this is on par with how obscure most public agency regulations are, speaking from direct experience as a public employee myself. Let's not over think and just roll with it, and default to asking forgiveness if necessary rather then permission.

The subjectivity of all this is on par with how obscure most public agency regulations are, speaking from direct experience as a public employee myself. Let's not over think and just roll with it, and default to asking forgiveness if necessary rather then permission.
Wuddn't me, wuddn't me, wuddn't me, just practicing. :hillbilly:

I emailed Panamint Springs to see if they have gas/diesel and we are good to go for that final top off before we head out into the Valley of Death!

Thank you for your interest in shopping with us here at Panamint Springs Resort and Campground. Yes we have and will have gasoline. we have 87 89 91 and Diesel.

87-$4.00

89-$4.24

91-$4.47

D-$4.36

Thank you again for your interest in stopping by with us. have a GREAT night

Cheers,

Panamint Springs Resort

40440 Highway 190

36°20'22" N 117°28'5" W

Panamint Springs, CA

(775) 482-7680

I’m glad they are still hanging on. For awhile there they were really struggling.

what time do y’all think y’all will be at Pannamint on Friday?

so..., should we bring firewood? i have some oak i can throw in the back.

Please post loads of pics. Web wheeling is better than no wheeling.

Frank

See you all tomorrow, my number is 8583356495 Nick

Hamilton and I plan to hit the road around 10:30 hope to get there around 4:30 after stopping for lunch and fuel. We will be monitoring the Ham 146.490.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom