Events/Trails Death Valley Feb 11-14(15) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone,

Piggy backing off @Cruiser Bauers Feb DV trip, right now he's got it on the schedule for 18-21, hopefully he can accommodate these dates otherwise we might have two DV options for Feb. This is the weekend of President's day so I have some extra days off work and was already planning to go these days. The following is the plan for the route, I'll post some maps showing the route later.

DV is a vast area, with lots of places to see, in the past I've done 3 day trips where we covered most of them all in one trip, kind of like those days when I used to stay up past 9pm. That involved 8-10hrs days behind the wheel, that could easily turn into 12-14 if someone had an issue. This is NOT that kind of trip...hopefully. Although those are fun, now I like to do trips where I can get to camp before dark, have time to setup and enjoy time around the fire. I'll be bringing my 5 year old son if anyone else wants to bring theirs. This route keeps each day to 80-100miles, while still hitting most of the main attractions in DV.

Day 1 Thursday -
Leave SD 8am, meet at the gas station on 76 and 15N for those that want to caravan.
stop in wonderful Adelanto for some lunch
camping at trona pinnicales

Day 2 Friday -
Wheel up 7:30 this will be the longest day at 140miles, about 40 of it highway.
Fuel up in Trona
Head out towards panamint springs, top off fuel, usually at around $6/gallon...ouch
West towards Darwin, check out darwin falls, check out Town of Darwin, recommend watching Docu on netflix about it prior, will set the stage nicely,
Head north, crossing Hwy 190 through Talc city hills and santa rosa flats to south pass.
Over Hunter Mtn, its at 7500ft, likely to see some snow.
Onto Teakettle junction and Race track.
Camp near the race track.

Day 3 Saturday -
Traverse down lippincott, somewhat narrow mtn switchback, down to saline valley road
Head North on SV rd and turn East towards saline valley hot springs
Presidents weekend is usually when they have a nudist rave out there, this year the pools are being kept dry due to COVID so thats not happening(sorry @RET2), probably check it out for a bit and keep driving onto Steel Pass.
Steel Pass will take us to the Eureka Dunes, camp here for the night.

Day 4 - Sunday

Drive home from here is a long trek, probably solid 8-9 hours.
For those interested we can break it up by camping and checking out Alabama Hills, which is conveniently close to the highway near Lone pine.
Its probably only 3 hour drive, which would allow us take our time Sunday and giving plenty of time to check out the area in the daylight.

Comms: 146.490

Link to Gaia folder with each day's planned route and some waypoints.

GaiaGPS - BNT Feb 21 DV - https://www.gaiagps.com/public/APsMdzmhZjAip5x9qrjunwwO

This is an awesome area, and the best time of the year to enjoy it, looking forward to this trip.

Post up on who's interested

Attending:
1. @Loober
2. @Justsendit
3. @BMinSD
4. @Cruiser Bauers
5. @hamilt0n
6. @landcruising
7. @Ian Mac
8. @Shanduhh
9. @1FZj80
10. Gus(Nick's friend, 3rd gen 4runner)
11. Scott(Nick's father in law, 4th gen 4runner)

Nick

Last edited:
Sounds like a wonderful trip. Great planning. If by some miracle I've gotten my Covid vaccine by then, I'll be in.

The documentary I mentioned is on Prime and its called Darwin: No services ahead

Well I cancelled my trip the weekend after and join @Loober for this one...so two going for sure now.

I am thinking of going as well, looking at my schedule.

Hi Everyone,

Piggy backing off @Cruiser Bauers Feb DV trip, right now he's got it on the schedule for 18-21, hopefully he can accommodate these dates otherwise we might have two DV options for Feb. This is the weekend of President's day so I have some extra days off work and was already planning to go these days. The following is the plan for the route, I'll post some maps showing the route later.

DV is a vast area, with lots of places to see, in the past I've done 3 day trips where we covered most of them all in one trip, kind of like those days when I used to stay up past 9pm. That involved 8-10hrs days behind the wheel, that could easily turn into 12-14 if someone had an issue. This is NOT that kind of trip...hopefully. Although those are fun, now I like to do trips where I can get to camp before dark, have time to setup and enjoy time around the fire. I'll be bringing my 5 year old son if anyone else wants to bring theirs. This route keeps each day to 80-100miles, while still hitting most of the main attractions in DV.

Day 1 Thursday -
Drive out, leaving around noon
stop in wonderful Adelanto for some dinner
camping near the Turn off 395 and Trona Rd.

Day 2 Friday -
Fuel up in Trona
Head out towards panamint springs, top off fuel, usually at around $6/gallon...ouch
West towards Darwin, check out darwin falls, check out Town of Darwin, recommend watching Docu on netflix about it prior, will set the stage nicely,
Head north, crossing Hwy 190 through Talc city hills and santa rosa flats to south pass.
Over Hunter Mtn, its at 7500ft, likely to see some snow.
Onto Teakettle junction and Race track.
Camp near the race track.

Day 3 Saturday -
Traverse down lippincott, somewhat narrow mtn switchback, down to saline valley road
Head North on SV rd and turn East towards saline valley hot springs
Presidents weekend is usually when they have a nudist rave out there, this year the pools are being kept dry due to COVID so thats not happening(sorry @RET2), probably check it out for a bit and keep driving onto Steel Pass.
Steel Pass will take us to the Eureka Dunes, camp here for the night.

Day 4 - Sunday

Drive home from here is a long trek, probably solid 8-9 hours.
For those interested we can break it up by camping and checking out Alabama Hills, which is conveniently close to the highway near Lone pine.
Its probably only 3 hour drive, which would allow us take our time Sunday and giving plenty of time to check out the area in the daylight.

This is an awesome area, and the best time of the year to enjoy it, looking forward to this trip.

Post up on who's interested

Nick
After watching the Darwin flick I have come to the conclusion that I am a better fit there than in the pools at the Springs so Y'all can just drop me off there. :rofl:

Planning on it.

I'm in, but may need to meet later on the 11th at the camp site.

looking to be a good turn out, updated the first post, Thursday night we'll be camping at/around trona pinnicales so it will be easy to find.

Sounds like a great trip. I'm hoping to be able to join you guys.

Posted a Gaia link with the planned routes for each day. A note about fuel, Panamint springs, is not guaranteed, I've seen it closed before. Assuming its open, the next fuel opportunity is not until we are back on the 395 around big pine which is roughly 225 miles, mostly offroad. Add another 50 miles for worst case planning if Trona is the only fuel stop.

Sean and I are in, pending work schedule

Plan is to camp thursday night at the trona pinnicales, couple of us are driving out thursday morning to get there around 2pm and explore before sun down. I've updated the roster, if everyone goes that showed interest we will have quite a convoy of about 11 rigs. That's fine, but we'll just all need to be on the same page to stay on schedule and cover the planned distances without staying on the trail into the night. Friday will be the longest day, so we need to be wheels up by 7:30 from the campsite at the pinnicales. I've posted the routes, they are all well established trails, so meeting up with the convoy somewhere else shouldn't be too difficult.

Wedding anniversary weekend, can't go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom