Death Valley '07 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
On Monday, our first day into the trip was a straight shot into Saline Valley hot springs from Las Vegas. My co-driver, Ray has never been to LV so a drive through the strip at night was in order. This area has couple of hot pools that did wonders for the tired bones after couple of days of driving.

On Tuesday, we went over Steel Pass and down to the Eureka Dunes to meet up with the main group. We encountered a strong storm with high winds. A make shift wind block was created using a huge tarp between two vehicles. The third vehicle drove over one end of the tarp as an anchor. Using HAM radio, it was decided to meet the main group on the following morning at an intersection about 10 miles away. The storm brought rain and snow for the travelers who were driving from No Cali and So Cali and they didn't want to take a chance on the passes.

On Wednesday, we went to Phinney Canyon at the north end of DV and camped there. This is a beautiful canyon with lots of trees and natural shelter. Temps dropped to 30 degrees that night :eek:

On Thursday we drove through the town of Rhyolite into Titus Canyon. This canyon has been closed for the last few years due to soil erosion. We encountered lots of hikers and back packers as we wound our way through the canyon. They all gave us the "evil" eye :doh: We made our way to through the Echo canyon into Inyo mine. There are lots of mining equipment to check out and some cabins in decent shape. Rhyolite town is a ghost town and you can still see the buildings. I took lots of pics of the bottle house and some "art".

On Friday, we made our way through the Marble canyon, Panamint valley then up South Park pass. This is where we encountered Chicken rock and Scary bridge. This particular shelf road is very narrow and the bridge is rated for 3 Tons. Along the way, we saw old mining cabins that were adopted by certain individuals and are in great shape. Anyone can camp or stay in the cabins and there were no signs of vandalism.

Saturday found us going through a very dusty canyon floor into Rita's cabin. This area was protected from the wind and the group set up camp there. Along the way, we saw lots of Burros (introduced by the miners) and great scenery. We parted ways with the main group at Rita's cabin and headed home.

One 80 suffered a broken rear DS and he borrowed my spare one. I experienced a upper shock mount bushing failure on one of the rear Bilstein shock. I changed the upper Heim joint (corroded) to a Poly bushing and it has deteriorated quite a bit. Our first day of driving 50 miles on washboards killed it. After that, I made up a new bushing every day only to have it last for a couple of hours. :mad: One Disco 1 suffered a door ding on the lower part of the door. A slider would've averted that.

We used 2M HAM radios extensively on this trip. Only three out of 11 vehicles didn't have 2M radios. The range on these radios on simplex (radio to radio) was excellent. We hit as far away as 50 miles through canyons and over mountain passes. This was the only way to communicate from the Trail boss to the Trail gunner since the group was stretched out to couple of miles due to dust and deep canyons. Also, couple of late comers joined us along the route and they all had 2M radios. Without these radios, we would've never been able to guide them to our camp sites.

Pics are uploaded at my Photo site I tried to keep them in order but didn't have times to label all of them.

From others:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/80_on_inverness/sets/72157600029869169/
http://flickr.com/photos/63193190@N00
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7517308@N07/437187752/

The Topo file from this trip has been uploaded to our Yahoo site. This is a Topo 5.0 file.

:cheers:

Ali

Last edited:
Wow, you guys covered a lot of ground! Sounds like a good trip. Were any wildflowers in bloom? How much water was there at Saline? I heard that it was pretty dry last year.

Didn't see too many wildflowers but Saline hot pools were full of water. On our way to the hot springs, we did cross several water crossing on Saline Valley Road.

I miss that area. Before we moved here we would do the Yosemite to Saline to Death Valley to the Mojave and back to the Bay Area trip about every other year.

One year the entrance to Saline Valley road was washed out and there was a Road Closed sign. We opted to ignore it and went through the washout. Didn't see another person for three days (except the naked caretaker at the hot springs) until we hit the pavement in DV.

Was that Sam and Theresa in the red 80? I met them on Hells Revenge last year. That looks like a great trip. Thanks for the pics.

-Mike-

Sam came with his brother this time. Tree couldn't get the time off I guess and the kids had school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom