Death body roll when braking hard loaded down (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So long story short, Ive don't a lot of work on my 80 this summer and loaded it up more than ever before for a 4 day trip with 4 people through the Utah desert. Coming down a pass I had to brake hard while changing lanes and got some really unexpected, super nasty, super hard to control body roll. I need a little alignment and will be replacing the brakes since i noticed it pulls ever so slightly to the left. But more than that is the concern that unless I hold the wheel tightly straight and brake hard, the body roll is real nasty. I only notice this issue going over 60mph.

My setup is icon stage 3 shocks all the way around, icon springs in front, slinky heavies in the rear (When semi-loaded, the truck sits level.) When loaded like it was the rear sat an inch lower than the front. Icon shocks/springs are 4 years old, slinky springs are a few months old. Tires are new.

Due to the body roll, my 315s are at 45psi and my shocks are set to the hardest setting which helped a bit but didn't solve the issue.

I was hoping to get some opinions/antidotes around my initial thoughts on resolving this:

1. Alignment
2. Replacement brakes
3. Swap out icon fronts for slinky heavies to match rear.
4. Revalve icon shocks on account of them being set to the hardest setting and still feeling not that hard loaded down

Thanks as always for input

IMG_20210924_073153464_HDR.jpg

Delta panhard bracket for the rear…my set up sounds very much like yours and I added this and it took away that braking squirrellyness

Are your sway bars still intact or have they been removed / disconnected for wheeling?

Having them intact will be the best for this type of issue.

What is the status of your suspension bushings?

Do you have the anti-sway bars in place? Any weight that can come off the roof?

Delta panhard bracket for the rear…my set up sounds very much like yours and I added this and it took away that braking squirrellyness
I've got a 2" lift, haven't had any hard hit brakes examples like the OP but definitely notice squirellyness braking through coming to a complete stop. Little wiggle at highway speeds. Even with a lower height lift do you think the panhard would help with this? I've been close to pulling the trigger a couple times now but haven't.

I've got a 2" lift, haven't had any hard hit brakes examples like the OP but definitely notice squirellyness braking through coming to a complete stop. Little wiggle at highway speeds. Even with a lower height lift do you think the panhard would help with this? I've been close to pulling the trigger a couple times now but haven't.
The more parallel you can get the panhard rod to level ground will certianly be of benefit stability wise imho,

I Have oversized sway bars and poly bushings all around with a 2.5 OME / heavies lift, oh and braided brake lines (Probably takes a little pedal play out, one of those "hard to tell the difference" mods). I can't imagine driving mine without the beefed up sway bars. Especially with the RTT.

PS - I would second matching front springs to match slinky rears. I know slinkys are a progressive rate spring which would make me nervous to have everything matched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom