Dealership recommendation for key replacement on a exported Vehicle (US to Germany) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So here is the situation: I do need a factory key replacement, but I have a US-spec FZJ80 in Germany.
My German dealership cannot make me a new one even with the code from the passenger door lock because it is not in their database.
The service staff even contacted the Toyota Europe headquarters in Brüssels with no luck...
Therefore I do need to get one from the US...

Do you guys have any recommendations on a good dealership, that I can contact via Email?

Any help is appreciated :)

Does the German dealer have the correct key blank?

Mud vendor @ToyotaMatt was able to make me a key from my VIN for my '97. He might be able to assist.

They do have the correct key blank. It is identical with the European version.

Then I'll send him a message! :)

It's odd that the blank is the same but they have no code records. Do you have the code? If so you could reach out to your dealer and see if he has any of the old manual code books for hand cutters. They could look up the code and get the depth of the cuts. You could give that info to the German dealer and they should be able to cut by depth.

I do have the code it is in the format X-XYZ.
The most competent dealership has the equipment to cut them manually but can't do it because it is not in the toyota database.
* their systems needs a code for the vin, but if the code is entered it returns an error corresponding to "not in database"
One possibility might be, that all of the locks have been changed at some point

I do have the code it is in the format X-XYZ.
The most competent dealership has the equipment to cut them manually but can't do it because it is not in the toyota database.
* their systems needs a code for the vin, but if the code is entered it returns an error corresponding to "not in database"
One possibility might be, that all of the locks have been changed at some point

The code should be 5 characters. Example W1535

The German dealer can pull the right door key cylinder. The code is stamped on the barrel.

Hm...
That might be the issue.

My passenger side lock definitely has not a 5 character code on it...

I assume I can get the code from the driver side aswell?

Hm...
That might be the issue.

My passenger side lock definitely has not a 5 character code on it...

I assume I can get the code from the driver side aswell?

Nope. Right front door only. Maybe they are not seeing it correctly.

With proof of ownership you can get the key code from your local dealer.

Pic borrowed from Matt.

Screenshot 2022-05-21 at 15-35-14 Vintage TOYOTA LOCKSMITH SHOP T-TEN Certified & Trained Lock...png

I just sent you a private message.

I assumed you were in the US

So here is the situation: I do need a factory key replacement, but I have a US-spec FZJ80 in Germany.
My German dealership cannot make me a new one even with the code from the passenger door lock because it is not in their database.
The service staff even contacted the Toyota Europe headquarters in Brüssels with no luck...
Therefore I do need to get one from the US...

Do you guys have any recommendations on a good dealership, that I can contact via Email?

Any help is appreciated :)
Mud vendor @ToyotaMatt was able to make me a key from my VIN for my '97. He might be able to assist.
I just sent you a private message.

I assumed you were in the US

TOYOTA usa did away with the whole certified vehicle lock smith obtaining a factory Key code from the VIN # about 2 years ago now if memory serves me right ?

that being said , i have run into several 80 Series having there
W series Factory key Code stamped on the Drivers LHD Key cylinder instead of the typical passenger

side @cruiserdan and i were always skooled to instruct customers at the dealership level ...

a reminder too : you must remove the ENTIRE door lock cylinder from the handle assy. itself to visually inspect and see the code with the naked eye :

Here is a 80 series text book W - SERIES Factory door lock cylinder and what to expect to see upon removal from the handle assy. itself :

- the codes were hand-stamped in the assembly process and can be very hard to decipher some times take the below case and point W-2050

The # 2 is only partially fully stamped …

8166CA03-7FAA-422E-90F7-01B983D3E973.jpeg
4EE8E4B3-CA1A-4F4F-B3D3-89E308CF2DA2.jpeg
523B8E8C-B048-43FF-B889-94FD433BC3B8.jpeg
FAF77B39-82D3-4BBA-8F20-F1408DA60A70.jpeg
3D918F34-7A37-4CB9-A537-C851B8950E4F.jpeg

Last edited:
He sent me photos of the RH cylinder and the keys. I believie I have a solution for him. The RH cylinder is not code-stamped. I have not seen a left-side stamped so maybe this one is like that.

No stamping on the LH cylinder…

on a different note: the front right door must have been replaced according to carfax. It might have gotten a different lock at that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom