Dealer Quoted $700.13 for Birfield Job (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I Recently acquired a 1994 Land Cruiser (230k, with lockers) for $3500. Seeing that there is no history of the birfield service in the maintenance records, and with no accessibility to a garage (I live in an apt), I took my car to a local Toyota dealership.

I brought my FSM with me just in case and showed the lead tech and the advisor exactly what I needed. The lead tech began to explain to me how labor intensive the job is. I told them up front that I didn't want to pay more than $600 (probably a lowball offer) and the lead tech told the advisor that might be doable.

I get dropped off at my apt and the advisor called me to let me know that after some pencil whipping, $700.13 (including parts, labor, and tax) out the door is the best he could do.

Call me chicken but even after hours of reading, this birf job is seriously intimidating. So, I agreed to the price and gave them authorization to do the work.

Changing fluids, plugs/wires/dizzy cap and rotor is one thing but spending three days out in the parking lot while trying to dodge the apt management just didn't seem worth it to me.

Now to the actual question.

Seeing that the quality of birf job between dealerships vary, is there a way I can validate that the work was done correctly? Has anyone received any kind of warranty for their birf job from the dealership and if so, what were the terms?

Realistically a full front end job with new bearings (but not new birfs) will set you back around $500-600 alone in parts. Knock off a bit if you skip the bearings. That's Cdan prices, so expect as much as double depending on how badly your local stealership wants to shaft you.

Then you're looking at labor. You can easily expect 2 people to spend 8 hours doing the full job. At pretty typical shop rates of about $75/hour, that's $1200 in labor alone.

No way is his price $700.13. My guess is that is a wheel bearing repack, not a full axle service job.

I did my own and spent $300+ in parts from C-Dan and 15hrs of my time.
I think you would do okay IF they were doing a complete job!
You should get some kind of warranty with the work; especially from a dealership.
Good luck!

Realistically a full front end job with new bearings (but not new birfs) will set you back around $500-600 alone in parts. Knock off a bit if you skip the bearings.
I serviced my knuckles and replace bearings for considerably cheaper than that sourcing the parts through Cruiser Outfitters. I did not replace tie-rod ends or do anything front-end-wise other than service the knuckles though. The labor adds up on this one, and I think some shops pad the estimate because they don't want to deal with the messy job. I've seen others quoted $1,200 for knuckle service. $700 is a pretty fair price!

The ONLY way to validate that it's done correctly is to do it yourself, but the dealership probably offers pretty good warranty coverage.

Butt

I Recently acquired a 1994 Land Cruiser (230k, with lockers) for $3500. Seeing that there is no history of the birfield service in the maintenance records, and with no accessibility to a garage (I live in an apt), I took my car to a local Toyota dealership.

I brought my FSM with me just in case and showed the lead tech and the advisor exactly what I needed. The lead tech began to explain to me how labor intensive the job is. I told them up front that I didn't want to pay more than $600 (probably a lowball offer) and the lead tech told the advisor that might be doable.

I get dropped off at my apt and the advisor called me to let me know that after some pencil whipping, $700.13 (including parts, labor, and tax) out the door is the best he could do.

Call me chicken but even after hours of reading, this birf job is seriously intimidating. So, I agreed to the price and gave them authorization to do the work.

Changing fluids, plugs/wires/dizzy cap and rotor is one thing but spending three days out in the parking lot while trying to dodge the apt management just didn't seem worth it to me.

Now to the actual question.

Seeing that the quality of birf job between dealerships vary, is there a way I can validate that the work was done correctly? Has anyone received any kind of warranty for their birf job from the dealership and if so, what were the terms?

I'm in the middle of this job right now and if I could have what I'm doing for $700, I'd go for it !

I suspect that this is not a 'complete' birf job but just the basics, clean and re-grease, and doesn't include any parts that may need to be replaced: trunion bearings, wheel bearings, oil seals, various clips, gaskets etc. I guess it all depends on what a dealership feels is included with a 'birf service'.

I suspect, if they find parts that need to be replaced, you'll get a call back. If you never get a call back and when you go to collect your vehicle, ask them for a detailed description of work done and parts replaced. This is not to give them a hard time, you just want to know what they did and what they didn't do: all part of an accurate baseline.

Rgds...

it's easy- just messy- glad I know the prices, it makes me feel better about diy. Good 'ol A.T. (cdan) sending along $300 worth of stuff and you are done in a weekend.

How many solid axles do you think the service dept deals with? That's right. Yours.
Toyota trains it's mechanics well but some of them might not be familar so there might be mistakes. of course, diy, there could be mistakes too.

If you get it done by the dealer, just assume it was done well and forget it. If there are problems, deal with it at that time. Not much else you can do except worry about it, which is a waste of time.

Because I knew nothing about maintenance on my rig 2 years ago I paid a Toyota dealership 1,400 to do a complete knuckle job on both front wheels. :censor: The seals are still intact with no leaking, but the birfs are screaming now. Being a newbie at the time I was under the impression the birfs were included in the price tag I paid. Obviously not. These are two different maintenance items at the dealer and they charge accordingly. Mainly because of the mess.

As mentioned before make sure you get a detailed listing of what work was done and what parts (and part numbers) were used. Before-hand, if you could ask what, in detail, that 700.00 price includes and get that in writing. This will simply avoid my rookie mistake and ensure everyone is on the same page prior to the service being completed.

Oh and one more thing, if you can, dont be afraid to shop around next time. You may find a mechanic in your area that specializes in LC's. I have had this luck in two different cities I live and it sure brings peace of mind. Not to mention I have someone who is motivated by creating a long-lasting relationship along with their reputation in the community rather than screwing me for as much money as they can the first time because I might not return once I get the bill.

HTH

Will be interesting to find out what all they did...

Definitely get the invoice with a full listing of the parts and prices...Call them back and have them retain the old parts for you to inspect as well (although some of the parts could be really nasty :))

My guess is they are going to pull the hubs, repack the bearings, and put it back together meaning you'll end up with 1/2 of a full axle service. They'll ignore everything from the spindle back including the birfs hiding behind there and the knuckle ball felt, trim ring, and retainer. I've been wrong before though :D

700 bucks and 13 cents?

Awesome calculations that garage man - did you pay the 13c?

;)

Last year I got a quote from a local dealer for $550 labor for a complete front axle service and confirmed that it would be both sides, but when I asked for a list of parts with new bearings neither the service writer nor the parts person knew anything about the trunnion bearings. I had to fax them the diagram out of the FSM showing the front axle parts diagram with the trunnion bearings circled because they insisted that there were only wheel bearings in there!! I then decided to do it myself. Others on mud have said that the dealers often ignored those bearings and after seeing the ones in my rig I can believe it. Whatever you decide make sure to get a pair of the Marlin Crawler HD axle seals in place of OEM.

sounds too good to be true. I spent almost 700 on parts with Cdan all new bearings and new front rotors and seals.

I don't think I'd trust anyone but a real Land Cruiser shop to do it right, honestly.

I need to do mine but I'll do it myself. Since I need new Birfs as well the parts cost alone will be substantial, I can't be paying for labor (unless you count pizza and beer for helpful friends.)

If they do it right, $700 is a screaming deal.

I am the lucky one!!! $182.00, including a front busted brake line replaced!!!:cheers:

I don't think I'd trust anyone but a real Land Cruiser shop to do it right, honestly...

If you provide all the parts needed, discuss the job with the mechanic and give him your FSM, I don't see why it'd be necessary to go this route.
Anyway, that's what I did. He commented that the Marlin seals were "way better". Also had him replace TREs, soft brake lines and install new calipers. Took him 12 hrs and he charged me $400. Do I owe him some:beer: or what?

To verify that the job was done correctly, or at least thoroughly, ask to see the replaced parts.

Screaming deal if you can get all the parts replaced back to confirm they changed them. I think they have to provide them by law if you request them. I hope the do a good job for you.:cheers:

it's easy- just messy- glad I know the prices, it makes me feel better about diy. Good 'ol A.T. (cdan) sending along $300 worth of stuff and you are done in a weekend.

How many solid axles do you think the service dept deals with? That's right. Yours.
Toyota trains it's mechanics well but some of them might not be familar so there might be mistakes. of course, diy, there could be mistakes too.

If you get it done by the dealer, just assume it was done well and forget it. If there are problems, deal with it at that time. Not much else you can do except worry about it, which is a waste of time.

I agree it is not hard just messy. Also the knowledge gained can come in handy on the trail if you break a birf. :wrench:

Took him 12 hrs and he charged me $400. Do I owe him some:beer: or what?

That's only about $33 an hour, so I'd say yes!

Not bad money for the guy working out of his garage with little overhead, but most shops couldn't afford that rate (at least around here).

Heck, at that price I'd be sorely tempted to pay someone to do it. :hmm:

Heck, at that price I'd be sorely tempted to pay someone to do it. :hmm:

Nope--This is a job you need to do yourself. It teaches you so much about your Land Cruiser, that it's priceless. Even if you can afford to have this done for you, you need to do it yourself.

No one working "book" or on shop time, will take the time to do it right. Only you will clean everything, change out probably good, but questionable components, and not cut corners.

The only exception is a Land Cruiser specialty place like Mudrak, or Cruiseroutfitters, or Slee. They will charge you a lot, because this job takes time, but they know the drill and it will be right and they will stand behind their work.

The Toyota dealer does not see 80s (or 60's or 40's). They can fix common Camry or Sienna problems all day long, but the SFA of a Land Cruiser is Indian country, and not some place they want to go. Yet...it's easy, and a good thing to do. You should do it yourself. Did I mention that it's fun? At least, I like doing it.

A $700 dealer knuckle service is questionable. If Cruiserdan said he would supervise the knuckle service and supply all the parts at his dealership, then go for it. Otherwise, it's little better than the local Lube and Tune place doing your knuckle service.

Regarding a knuckle service for $182...it didn't happen. Just the parts from an aftermarket source are more than that.

have them retain the old parts for you to inspect as well (although some of the parts could be really nasty :))

To verify that the job was done correctly, or at least thoroughly, ask to see the replaced parts.

Screaming deal if you can get all the parts replaced back to confirm they changed them. I think they have to provide them by law if you request them. I hope the do a good job for you.:cheers:

Absolutely always ask for your old parts back. I also think that it is the law to give all old parts back...I've had a shop scratch a procedure off my bill just because they did not save the old part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom