Dealer price for knuckle rebuild? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1997 LX450 with one weeping birfield. Took to Toyota dealer who quoted $700 to replace the seals/gaskets (tax + disposal extra)... no bearing replacement in that price.
Does this seem like a fair price?

And they claim that the bearings are okay (they were replaced 4 years ago), should I tell them to replace anyways?

Thanks.

The bearings usually last quite a long time, four years aint too bad.

I think a decent mechanic should be able to pull it apart, and clean it and put it back together in around 3 or 4 hours, with over $100 bucks in parts not including bearings for all seals and wipers.

Personally, Id say do it yourself and see whats in there, but do what you like.

Price is fairly reasonable, maybe a little on the high side.

If your driving/wheeling has taken through a lot of water/sand over the last 4 years, I'd think long and hard about leaving the old bearings in place if they're already doing the build. The biggest part of the job is labor, not parts. Make sure they really wiggle your wheels and have a low threshhold for replacement.

But 4 years is not a long time for a set if you haven't been crossing a lot of raging torrents and mud bogs - they still should be fine.

$700 is high IME for just one side, IIRC $1100 is what I was quoted for both sides with no bearings. If the rotors are getting worn now is also the time to replace them when everything is apart and you could do both sides at the same time. You could shop around for someone who has experience working on these or plan on doing it yourself (read the FAQ section for front axle service). How many miles on your 80 and how many miles since the front axle was done last?

Id get a friend out of your local club to supervise you doing it yourself. Mike

What is a weeping birfield? I would assume that the knuckle wiper is leaking a little at the felt seal. Or, is the axle seal leaking gear lube into the birf/knuckle housing and mixing with the grease?

Thanks for the input guys. I would honestly love to do it myself, but I don't have the time. Plus its my wife's car and she wants it ASAP. (And since I want sex ASAP, you get the idea.)

The wifey doesn't take it anywhere but around town on asphalt, so I'll assume that the bearings are probably okay then. The present set of bearings probably have 50k mi on them, all road.

I'll go ahead and pay the dealer's price of $700 for one side.

I appreciate the advice.

Well I just purchased a knuckle kit with Koyo trunions from Marlin Crawler for 120 to my door and you figure on a high note another 50 in misc items (oil, grease, silicone ect) so your in it 170. 700-170= 530. That seems high to me but I also do all my own work, but again that is my opinion.

I was quoted $1500 for both sides from a local yota shop, not a dealer.

At least ask whether the mechanic working on your rig has done this job before, some haven't.

I'm one for doing what the wifey says....but that typically costs too much!

Just take the time and knock it out yourself! Go on, get greasy....then get well...uh, keep that wifey happy!

Best of luck and have fun on both jobs!

POST PICS :) HAHAHA

Welcome to 'Mud!!

Last edited:
From a dealer $700 for a complete front end is fair. The $700 question is what are they exactly doing for the cost? Are they are just resealing the front or cleaning and repacking the birfs and bearings, replacing turion bearing, new inner seals, hub seals, wheel seals, and all the other associated junk?

I think the OP mentioned that it is was $700 for just one side.....

So both sides would be $1400.

That sounds like regular dealership prices at $110 or so an hour.

Probably no discount on OEM parts meaning full list (ouch).

If you list your location you may get some suggestions on where to take the truck besides the dealer. Could save some money and get someone who works on LC all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom