Dealer cannot sell part without proof of import? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I tried to purchase a new 70 series manual transmission and the parts manager replied saying "this part is not approve for US sale" - below is his full response. Has anyone else experienced this? Any additional insight on what is going on here?

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 10.08.26 AM.png

Last edited:
Yes, we deal with this regular on non-US imports. They generally need a copy of your EPA/NHTSA import docs.

Which part number are you trying to buy?

Yes, we deal with this regular on non-US imports. They generally need a copy of your EPA/NHTSA import docs.

Thanks for shedding some light on how it works. I had no idea that they controlled parts. This is actually for an engine/drivetrain swap and not into an imported cruiser...

The transmission is part # 330306A414

That’s the non-US R151F.

Like Kurt said, the dealer doesn’t control parts release; Toyota USA controls parts release.

If you don’t have the correct paperwork, you won’t be able to get those parts released to you (even though the part is available in the US).

Kurt - Are you able to acquire and sell me this transmission?

That’s the non-US R151F.

Like Kurt said, the dealer doesn’t control parts release; Toyota USA controls parts release.

If you don’t have the correct paperwork, you won’t be able to get those parts released to you (even though the part is available in the US).
Interesting. I assumed a part being available would mean it can be purchased, but it is obviously more complex than that...

Thanks for letting me know.

Kurt - Are you able to acquire and sell me this transmission?

We could look into it. Ping the parts team at the shop and they'll jam on it.

And if you are crossing the US with a non-US vehicle in temporary import, would you be able to access the parts?
I guess the reason those parts exist in Toyota US warehouses is to be available for worldwide vehicle that may need it...

Toyota has no interest in making parts available for us enthusiasts.

Someone recently told me once he was blocked from getting a lock set on amayama because it was not allowed to leave Japan and they wanted proof of Japanese ownership.

We just had a similar issue for a $21.56 thermostat. Local dealer not allowed to order.

You are dealing with SET and they have much stricter non-import part rules than TMNA does in other regions.

If you order from a non-SET/GST dealer, you should easily be able to source that thermostat.

Or, just get it from Kurt.

We have at least 3 in stock if you need to get one coming asap. RAD03102. We have all the gaskets, etc too @ Cruiser Outfitters

"this part is not approve for US sale"
Talk about govt over reach. I can understand why they dont want cars that dont conform to US standards, but a gear box!!

Talk about govt over reach. I can understand why they dont want cars that dont conform to US standards, but a gear box!!

I don't believe it's the .gov but rather Toyota corporate making those decisions not to service out of market vehicles and parts. Likely due to liability.

I don't believe it's the .gov but rather Toyota corporate making those decisions not to service out of market vehicles and parts. Likely due to liability.
US Toyota or Head Office in Japan? You should be able to get parts from Partsouq etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom