deal or no deal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
found a 93 without lockers and 65k miles- sat about 4 years in a garage from a previous owner and then the HG went so its been replaced already. I really wanted to find one with lockers and low miles--but these are getting hard to come and most are priced accordingly. This one is $10k and is in good shape/w low miles and the headgasket already done with 1000miles since. Has anyone heard of the HG going at such low miles on these? Wondering if sitting in a garage for 4 years contributed to this or if someone may have doctored the ODO? How much can one trust the mileage on the ODO anyway? Assuming i will do lockers-and can get $1500 off the asking price of 10k.....is 8500-9000 too much given concerns?

Look at Carfax, worth the money. Will tell you registered milleage. If it disagrees with the Fax, don't buy it. Sounds almost too good to be true.

Good Luck!

The worst car I ever owned was one that had extremely low miles, like this one. I'd look for something that has lived a nice gentle life with good maintenance, but hasn't been abandoned for years.

For the money you're talking about, you can be pretty picky and get a very nice condition 93-95.

My two cents..

Honestly, I'd rather have 100K miles and all the 90K service done plus HG on a newer truck. I'd say you are going to have to do all of that stuff pretty soon, so that's potentially a pricey '93.

Everybody looks for lockers, but all the PM is more valuable. A newer and totally baselined 80 without lockers and with "normal" mileage is IMO a better deal than a low mileage 80 with none of the major maintenance done and lockers. Even a '97 is ten years old at this stage and this stuff is going to come up.

Pull a carfax report if you have any interest in this thing so you aren't speculating on mileage.

Well, how is the interior? If the drivers seat looks like it has no more the 65K miles, then it sound like a fiar deal to me. The trans, diff's, spindles, bearing and everything are still practically new. I just wonder why the truck was not driven more. Finding these trucks with factory lockers isn't too difficult, they come up on Ebay pretty regular, but they cost more (because of the lockers). It's really even money I think to get one with lockers verus adding aftermarket lockers. Got one with lockers off Ebay and drove to Cleveland to get it. In retrospect I think I should have gotten one in better condition without the rust and added lockers. Just my .02

IIRC, the poll on HG failures did show a couple under or around 50K...

there is the obvious stuff to look for to see if the mileage is wildly out of wack, like pedals wear etc. Though nowadays with smog tests etc, Carfax is pretty effective. Plus you can check dealer receipts etc.

Well the plot thickens.... fairly close to this one- i found a 94 in fairly cherry shape. 102k fairly pampered.lockers,dealer serviced........but no HG fix yet. $8500.

If you had to make a call- 70kmiles- HG Done already-unlocked-clean.$8500

or- 100k miles- cleaner-dealer svcd- HG undone- Locked.$8500

Im leaning toward taking chances on the HG and getting the locked one since the unlocked is an immed. $1500 ARBjob. But i guess my question would be- how much does a HGjob run for this thing?

It depends what you what to use it for. For my usage lockers are very high priority. Go for the 94 in my opinion.

It depends what you what to use it for. For my usage lockers are very high priority. Go for the 94 in my opinion.

2Xs that. Have Patients and you will find the deal that is right for you.

Remember, All Good Things Come To Those Who Wait. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom