craigslist Deal Alert 1997 40th w/ Lockers - Cheap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey guys, saw this 40th in Pensacola, AL looks like it has some undercarriage rust. However its a 40th w/factory lockers and 212K.

I know one of you needs this at the asking price of $8,800. If I wasn't so far away I'd feel forced to buy it.

Looks to be in great shape. That's a smoking deal for a locked 40th.

I saw in the CL Ad that it was offered by "Sunrise Wholesale" . I looked them up but didn't see it on their website.

Not cheap enough... IMO.

I called the dealer, he texted me these pics :(

What a damn shame!

IMG_0163.jpeg

IMG_0161.jpeg

IMG_0165.jpeg

I called the dealer, this 80 spent it's entire life in Pennsylvania, was traded
to a Ford Dealer in Montgomery, Alabama a couple of months ago, then the small used car dealer picked it up at an auction. It has not had the head gasket done. With that amount of undercarriage rust I would be concerned that body rust wasn't too far behind.

If someone wanted to spend the next two years removing rust and replacing every nut, bolt, fasterner, bracket, axle housings, ----. Nope.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Edit:

I was in the area myself and had to take a look. If you think the photos
of the undercarriage look bad, it is much worse in person. Never seen one
so rusted out. Some areas of the frame have the swollen flaking delaminating look to the steel. All brackets rusted, underside of the floor itself is rusted in places.

Gas tank shield has large holes rusted out, reached up with my hand (fit inside the hole) and felt the bottom of the tank; also rusted, swollen, flaking. Not just surface rust, you could stick a spoon through it I think. Gas tank straps also rusted. Everything related to the gas tank would need to be replaced I'm sure.

Large irregular/rough looking crusty rust "bubble" next to the rear dust deflector rear side mounting bracket, a large hole in the hatch under that for sure.

A few areas of body rust starting to show up.

The left rear original shock has rust literally eating away the top section
of the shock ie: 1/3 of it is gone.

Rust staining poking out from under the port installed roof rack; ditto; significant rust.

Had a cheapo exhaust system installed at some point (rusty); louder than the original system.

Original alloy wheels with significant rust. Spare alloy looks like it was recovered from the floor of the ocean. Spare tire mounting cross member/bracket and assembly rusted beyond saving, cannot mount the spare due to the chain system is rusted shut.

Engine bay with rusted brackets, nuts, bolts, top of air filter housing very rusty. Exposed aluminum parts have the typical white oxidation you see on aluminum exposed to salt.

Only way I can see saving it if you have a spare vehicle/rolling frame and a couple of lifts to raise the body off the frame and roll a complete frame/axles/undercarriage under it.

But then does that change which VIN the vehicle is registered under? New frame serial number?? IDK how that works.

Summary: if you could pick this up for a lot less than the seller wants (he wouldn't budge much on the price however) and spend a year replacing the entire undercarriage, then you might have a nice vehicle.

On the other hand, there is very likely more hidden body panel rust that is ready to poke out, so you might end up chasing rust for the next 10 years.

Unfortunate that the previous owners never did anything to prevent or slow down the rust over the past 20 years.

Last edited:
The dealer was helpful and upfront on the rust. It was owned by a female bank executive that took it to Toyota for everything to include head gasket at 55k. It’s been loved, If it wasn’t for the undercarriage rust...

Last edited:
Was at the beach with the family and snuck away for a bit to test drive this vehicle. Seller is a really nice guy and upfront about everything. Had it for about 2 hours, Thing operates like a dream and is dang near perfect inside. Couldn’t find the first speck of body panel rust. But the dang frame - ouch. Took it by Robert Tau Automotive while I had it and they were super helpful and nice - pretty much confirmed that the rust was an issue if I planned on keeping it a long time or had any plans of turning any bolts without breaking or rounding off.

Body mounts had a good bit of rust, but didn’t see anything in danger of breaking. No blow by. Fluids looked good. Broke my heart to see it so well maintained, but with the rust problem.

No thanks. I agree, it's a shame. A victim of its environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom