Dead on the side of the road... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I was driving around town at an insane 55 or 60 when all of a sudden my 80 coughed, sputtered and then died. It was flat lined well before I coasted to a stop on the roadside. The tach jumped once after falling completely to 0 and no other symptoms were displayed. Now it wont start and had to get towed home...luckily not far.

I have had some fuel pump issues so I immediately suspected a bad pump and changed it last weekend...still wont start.

Has anyone been there and done that with these symptoms? My next course of actions is the FSM EFI system troubleshooting guide (FI-9) but any help would be appreciated.

look up about the EFI relay issues and trouble shooting for the 3FE powered 80s

Thanks!

X2 on the EFI relay. A lot of people keep a spare in the vehicle. Be sure to give us an update.

Pat

I call BS! I started reading threads about the EFI relay and one guys said it was the cheapest repair he had ever sone on his LC. well... I just called a local dealer and they quoted me over $130 for the relay!!!

I call BS! I started reading threads about the EFI relay and one guys said it was the cheapest repair he had ever sone on his LC. well... I just called a local dealer and they quoted me over $130 for the relay!!!

Before you go out any buy anything , did you make sure thats the problem ? Tossing parts at it just wastes your $$ You have already did the fuel pump and that didnt help . a jumper wire and a VOM can let you know right away if your on the right track

yep, you are correct but based on what I have read it would be good to carry a spare anyway. I am not inclined to spend money needlessly but I thought it prudent to call for price and availability.

look on rockauto.com I think they have it for under $60 , also try some of the OEM supporting vendors here . If your dealer is anything like the ones around here the price over the phone is list price +10%

Per Romer's emergency troubleshooting procedures, I ran a jumper from the #3 terminal to the battery and the fuel pump came alive. Ran to advanced auto and they had a relay for $25, plugged it in and she fired right up.

Thanks for all the valuable input guys!!

It always amazes me how fast folks are to jump to conclusions without any empirical evidence.

http://www.sdsysdesign.com/tlc/images/Strife/3FE EFI Diag.pdf

When I bought this cruiser it sat for about 3yrs with half a tank of fuel. Condensation did its part and the tank began to rust while she sat idle. When I purchased it about 6 yrs ago, she would not start. after troubleshooting to lack of fuel, I pulled the pump and it was a rusted mess. I replaced the pump but continue to have nagging problems that I attribute to the tank and the fuel gage is inop...i reset the trip odometer at every fill up and i know i had better be in eye shot of a gas station before I hit 180 miles or I will be walking. This time around I was at about 165 mi so the first thing I did was put 2 gal of gas in, that didn't work. with the history of the tank, I went straight to the pump...I know it wasn't the best idea but I did learn a lesson...

Per Romer's emergency troubleshooting procedures, I ran a jumper from the #3 terminal to the battery and the fuel pump came alive. Ran to advanced auto and they had a relay for $25, plugged it in and she fired right up.

Thanks for all the valuable input guys!!

Glad it worked for you

I should point out that was a thread created by multiple folks. Specifically RavenTai, KliersLC, Landtank and Beaowulf. I just compile and organize the information

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom