Dead ignition switch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

workingdog

GOLD Star
Threads
We were 3/4's up Foredyce Saturday when the rig died and would not restart. Prior to that, we were just getting a click when the key was turned and we were having to knock the starter to get it to start. We ran a wire from the battery to the ignition and used to screw driver to start the rig and got it home.

Right now, the key seems to do nothing - no gauges, no fuel pump, no starter - like there is no +12 to the switch or the switch has failed. The door chime works ... There's nothing obviously wrong under the hood and no fuses blown - although one of them looks a little melted.

I'm currently trying to track down +12 source to the steering column, but not sure how to do that.

Any help would be appreciated.

This is a 5.3 Cheby engine, so everything after the switch on the ignition side is aftermarket.

More info - everything on the column is dead - wipers, lights.

I got the cover off the column, there is power to the back of the switch. Two of the terminals are hot. As you move the key forward, one of the hot switches go dead and none of the rest become hot. I'm guessing that's not a good sign.

back of fj60 ignition switch.JPG

On a regular fj60, that is caused by a bad ground on the coil. Run a wire from the coil/ignitor to the wheelwell, or the block.

There is also a starter relay in the box under the steering wheel that can be reset.

Check that the fusible links on the battery pos are good on both sides, and clean the contacts.

Oh, and check your rotor inside the dist cap, they can melt under these conditions.

Thanks for all that. I'm going to try to translate it for my rig.
Since mine is distributor-less coil on plug, I'll have to figure out where the ground is now for all that.
Where's the starter relay? behind the fuse box?
All fusible links have been replaced (I think) with hot shots or busman re-settable fuses. I've checked them all and none of them tripped (although the hot shot could have).

Apparently, a main ground lug pulled loose at the battery - so that cnincides with your description. But that's connected again, and still no joy.

Does anyone know what is supposed to light up when on the back of the ignition switch?

Do you have a manual? Even a Haynes manual has diagrams and troubleshooting guidance in the electrical section. For your appropriate chassis, of course.

Yes, I have the manual, but I can't map the points on the wiring diagram to the back of the ignition switch.

But, the ignition page does make me think it's the fusible link, not the switch.

For anyone finding this thread, it turned out to be the fusible link. One link feeds the entire dash, column and ignition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom