Dead Battery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had a few batteries end up dead after leaving the FJ over a week. Does anybody have any ideas how to diagnose the draw? In the meantime, I'm planning to connect a few battery disconnect caps. This way I can easily disconnect the battery.

I've had a few batteries end up dead after leaving the FJ over a week. Does anybody have any ideas how to diagnose the draw? In the meantime, I'm planning to connect a few battery disconnect caps. This way I can easily disconnect the battery.
Get one of these , but still find the drain

2E21FA86-9F02-4D14-8A6D-95ED8A00A4EF.png

I would pull all the fuse then use a volt meter across each of the fuse terminals. If you show voltage you have a draw on that current and would go from thereon tracking it down. Personally would rather fix the issue than disconnecting the battery with a switch.

I use the ‘green knob’ battery disconnects on several of my cars with parasitic loads. One of them has a simple VDO analog clock that sucks the battery down in about 2 weeks. The 68 FJ40 I own will last about 3 weeks due to the Dakota dash and the....um...unmentionable ..um......security devices installed.

I’d be double checking radios, alarms, interior lights....the obvious. If the battery still goes flat after a couple of weeks disconnected...maybe internal short....

The best way is to remove the positive battery cable from battery. Leave it off and connect a multimeter to positive battery terminal and the removed positive clamp. Ensure multimeter is set to "current" . If there is a draw, it will show. If there is a draw showing, remove fuses one at a time until there is no draw. That would be the circuit causing the draw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom