dead batteries (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys. I just had the alternator replaced on my 100 series glx. The dash lights would flick on intermittently so auto elec replaced it. He tested charging and load test batteries and said everything was now fine. 2 days later I go out to car, turn the key and nothing. No dash lights at all and no indication that there would even be batteries in it. The batteries are century and just over 4 months old. Any advice?

My first thought is this sounds like the new alternator isn't charging your battery/batteries. I would have it tested independently after charging the battery fully and verify the work was done properly. Check the grounds also.

My first thought is this sounds like the new alternator isn't charging your battery/batteries. I would have it tested independently after charging the battery fully and verify the work was done properly. Check the grounds also.
Shouldn’t the auto elec have done this? I really don’t know much about this stuff and now I’ve got to have a convo with him. I get the feeling I’m going to be fleeced here

Shouldn’t the auto elec have done this? I really don’t know much about this stuff and now I’ve got to have a convo with him. I get the feeling I’m going to be fleeced here
Yes, *should* have, but the issue is with his ability to diagnose. If it was a sporadic grounding issue with the gauge cluster then the alternator would have no effect for example. How did he diagnose the Alternator originally? Do you use this shop regularly, trust them? I have definitely had to take vehicles to a different shop to check the work of a prior one on more than one occasion and with other brands besides Toyota. Some shops spend less time these days simply to keep the work flow moving.

First and foremost, it could be a simple matter so don't go in accusing him of making any error, just explain as you did here and see what he thinks. Hopefully he's a professional and will either know what happened or will be able to correct it. Let us know what happens next, best to move forward step by step than confuse you with lots of "possible" causes.

Yes, *should* have, but the issue is with his ability to diagnose. If it was a sporadic grounding issue with the gauge cluster then the alternator would have no effect for example. How did he diagnose the Alternator originally? Do you use this shop regularly, trust them? I have definitely had to take vehicles to a different shop to check the work of a prior one on more than one occasion and with other brands besides Toyota. Some shops spend less time these days simply to keep the work flow moving.

First and foremost, it could be a simple matter so don't go in accusing him of making any error, just explain as you did here and see what he thinks. Hopefully he's a professional and will either know what happened or will be able to correct it. Let us know what happens next, best to move forward step by step than confuse you with lots of "possible" causes.
I’m going to have to try and get him to come to me as I can even jumpstart my cruiser and can’t afford another tow truck to get it to him. I’ve never dealt with guy before, although he is a local business

Check for parasitic draws (when ur battery is fully charged). I had issues on mine but could not locate any myself. 2 places I know that cause intermittent draws...one is the rear DVD player (make sure there is not dvd in place but not loaded in). Second is the disk changer inside center arm rest (make sure not to have the cartridge ejected, I just removed mine).

You say “batteries” so are we assuming you have a dual battery set up? If so: How are the batteries isolated?

Not enough info provided yet to help you

Check for parasitic draws (when ur battery is fully charged). I had issues on mine but could not locate any myself. 2 places I know that cause intermittent draws...one is the rear DVD player (make sure there is not dvd in place but not loaded in). Second is the disk changer inside center arm rest (make sure not to have the cartridge ejected, I just removed mine).

I had this issue as well. When we purchased our 06, the PO commented on maybe needing an alternator. When I ran the Carfax the last 2 entries were battery replacements 6 months apart... after 2 months of ownership and 2 seemingly random dead batteries... I found a draw from the rear dvd circuit.

EDIT: see sig for details

Cheers mate, though I don’t have either of those accessories in mine. The whole situation is turning into a bit of a nightmare to be honest. Now my cruise control has stopped working and the park brake light constantly on. All after taking it back to the auto electrician. AND, he still didn’t fix the problem!!

You say “batteries” so are we assuming you have a dual battery set up? If so: How are the batteries isolated?

Not enough info provided yet to help you
It’s the standard setup for that yr model being in parallel. I’m not sure what other info to give sorry, though can try to answer any questions you may have.

It’s the standard setup for that yr model being in parallel. I’m not sure what other info to give sorry, though can try to answer any questions you may have.
Right-o. petrol versions in US market are one battery, and there are no diesel versions sold here.

For $10 you can buy a multimeter and start checking circuits, amp draw etc. Google or youtube search parasitic drain and you’ll see videos as how to start checking. Wondering if your truck has been in deep water- maybe salt water deep enough to affect some ground wires?

A leak in the sunroof area from clogged drains could divert water onto electronics and cause all kinds of problems. Has this been checked?
The cruise and brake light problems showed up only after you took it back to him to correct the earlier work? Get as far away from that guy as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom