Dead amp/fuel/oil pressure gauges, and front heater blower motor as well.

This has been a cascading situation. I was going to remove my heater because I don't get air out of the defrost ducts even with the fan obviously working, no matter where I set the heat lever to on the heater. Getting ready to pull out the heater and I noticed that I had fluid leaking out of my clutch master cylinder inside inside the cab, and eating the paint. The previous owner had done a complete body repair and repaint and he did a good job.I also had recently started having problems shifting into reverse. So I ordered a replacement clutch master cylinder, replaced it, and bled the system. In the process of changing the master cylinder I had a lot of problems getting the clevis pin out of the clutch pedal, and had moved wire bundles around. After the system was bled I had no problems shifting. But none of my instruments except the amp meter were working. Looking at the schematics I checked the fuse, which was ok. I got a voltmeter and checked it at the fuse and it read 11.7 volts. The schematic said that the power wire for all of the non functional gauges was a blue/red wire. I don't see any broken wires but I can't really see everything up there clearly. Anything else I should check, and if I have to pull the instrument cluster do I need to disconnect the speedometer cable and if so do I do it at the transmission or at the gauge or both?

If you have to remove the cluster you disconnect the speedo cable at the back of the cluster.

I tried to reach up from below to remove the speedo cable but I wasn't sure exactly where it should be. I tried taking the 2 screws off and tilted the instrument cluster so I could see the cable, but couldn't tilt enough to get my hand in there. But I did something. The gauges worked when I started the Cruiser to move it a little ways, and I drove it around the block and over some rough roads to see if it would quit working. It didn't. I don't trust it but I think I'm going to get the heater first before taking the instrument cluster out, as I need to fix the odometer which doesn't work anyway but if I need to drive it this winter I'd like the defroster to be working. Doing some searching I did see there's a video about fixing the odometer, which basically involves taking the odometer numbered wheels apart and cleaning them. I'd like to keep the instrument cluster original if possible.

Got a "Oops! We ran into some problems.​

The requested thread could not be found"

message. Since I still plan on trying to fix the gauges and odometer I would like to see the thread if it still is accessible.

Thanks

John McVicker

SILVER Star
You may already be aware of this, but just in case:

DO NOT attempt to tilt the speedo cluster backwards until you disconnect the battery. This is a significant safety issue…if you do not do this you have a high likelihood of frying your amp meter on your ‘76.

You may already be aware of this, but just in case:

DO NOT attempt to tilt the speedo cluster backwards until you disconnect the battery. This is a significant safety issue…if you do not do this you have a high likelihood of frying your amp meter on your ‘76.
I had read that either somewhere on here or on another FJ40 site. Since me sticking my hand up from the brake/clutch pedals trying to use my phone's camera to see what was back there actually seemed to jostle whatever wasn't connected so that it worked again I've left it alone. I will remember when I do take the gage cluster off to see if I can fix the odometer. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom