Dead 80. Batteries or diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just imported an 80 from Japan. My importer drove it from the city out to his shop. Then the polar vortex hit. He COULD not get it started even with high amp industrial charger. Turns over but no love. Its the 4.2 diesel. So i'm thinking glow plugs? or frozen fuel lines?

Alberta

I'd get it inside the nice warm shop for 24hrs, then try again.
Thanks. Thats exactly what my importer and I are thinking. Although I pestered him about his jump pack...which is more than enough amps. He firmly believes it needs to be warmed. So waiting all day and all night for a tow truck to bring it to a heated storage spot. Hopefully tomorrow. Polar vortex has everyone tied up.

Thanks. Thats exactly what my importer and I are thinking. Although I pestered him about his jump pack...which is more than enough amps. He firmly believes it needs to be warmed. So waiting all day and all night for a tow truck to bring it to a heated storage spot. Hopefully tomorrow. Polar vortex has everyone tied up.
It most likely has #2 fuel in it and it won't start at those kind of temps.

Warm up the whole truck, drain the fuel, and put in #1 fuel.

Could be some truth to that but my importer did put fresh diesel in when I came off the train.

Yota76, I think you're on the correct track with fuel issues. Does it crank and TRY to start or just crank away? You can also loosen injector hardlines to see if you're getting fuel out. Prime the hand pump a few times, it should get hard(er) to pump once the system is primed.

Also, join the Facebook group "80 Series in Canada", it's a great resource for these rigs up here in Canuck land :)

Damn polar vortex. We finally hit -22 here this morn.

Yota76, I think you're on the correct track with fuel issues. Does it crank and TRY to start or just crank away? You can also loosen injector hardlines to see if you're getting fuel out. Prime the hand pump a few times, it should get hard(er) to pump once the system is primed.

Also, join the Facebook group "80 Series in Canada", it's a great resource for these rigs up here in Canuck land :)

Damn polar vortex. We finally hit -22 here this morn.

I actually only spent a min trying to crank this morning but the batteries had weakened by then. I could only go on what the guys tried lastnight.

He drove it from Edmonton to Stony Plain before the brutal temps hit. Then it sat outside all weekend as I was majorly delayed getting plates.

Once I get it towed tomorrow to heated storage I think it'll fire up.

-22 try -38 :p

I live in Kansas and we don’t usually get super cold winters. Low teens usually, occasionally singles or below zero and high winds. Last week was low single digits, and one of our work 5.9’s just couldn’t do it. Fuel was jelly. Warmed it up and it started right up. If your area isn’t used to this, they may not have the right winter fuel. I’d agree with most of the other posts. Warm it up and it shouldn’t be a problem. Until it gets cold again...

Yeah... She was living her life in balmy Japan where Winters barely reach 0. Poor girl is in hypothermic shock.

Yeah... that average winter temp of 41 F is a killer... all relative my man.

She'll run. Just cause we live north of the wall doesn't mean we all lay down and die.

Could have the reverse effect of trying to start in extra-hot Aussie 40 c + summer days when oil is ultra-thin and everything one touches feels burning hot inside the cabin. ;)

We’d go for some of that Aussie heat now mate. Hope to get a tow truck today. Wish me luck.

North american diesel has additives in it for the winter that help prevent the fuel from gelling, if it still has diesel in the tank from Japan that may be part of your issue. Also water sedimenters can cause issues if not drained once in a blue moon to get the water out the bottom, problems dont usually arise until the cold weather.

Id get it in the shop, run it, replace fuel filters and fill the tank with a good diesel, or good diesel with winter additives separately.

Boiling water on the injection pump is sometimes much more help than glow plugs with some vehicles.

Thx for the info! It'll be in a warm container ...I hope! today. I think it'll be fine once I get it there. Its 30 mins away from house so I can't work on it till a tow truck is available.

North american diesel has additives in it for the winter that help prevent the fuel from gelling, if it still has diesel in the tank from Japan that may be part of your issue. Also water sedimenters can cause issues if not drained once in a blue moon to get the water out the bottom, problems dont usually arise until the cold weather.

Id get it in the shop, run it, replace fuel filters and fill the tank with a good diesel, or good diesel with winter additives separately.

Boiling water on the injection pump is sometimes much more help than glow plugs with some vehicles.

The Aussie alpine areas use a winter "alpine" diesel blend to stop fuel gelling.
Got caught out once with a 3/4 tank standard diesel, 1/4 alpine blend and a -15c cold snap came through while skiing. The old family Landrover Defender wouldn't start because the fuel had turned to gel.
The solution, break out the campstove, jack up the corner of the truck, cook dinner with the stove sitting under the injection pump.
End result, everyone including the truck got a warm feeling in the belly with hot soup, and a warm injector pump that let the truck fire up.

Id say mine had Japanese grade blend. Thats why she gelled up. $270 to tow to heated storage did the trick. I need front skirting now to keep heat and maybe a high temp thermostat.

All of those are very true and valid answers, but in my experience, on top of the diesel pump, there is a solenoid of sorts, the cable (positive) stops sending elctricity just put in a cable and try it...besides all that, Land Cruisers (some of them) came equiped with fuel heater, for extreme temperatures, I've started my 1HD-T in cold weather, but no extreme one...

I revert to cracking injectors if it seems like something isn't right and it turns over fine. It's an easy diagnostic method that will tell you a few things, maybe a bit about gel'd fuel or lack of, you can eliminate like half of the components involved with just doing that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom