de-weight fornt corner CLUNK (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quick question

When driving arround a roundabout or conrer quickly and the front right hand corner of the LC de-weights I get a heavy clunk.

LOOSE SHOCK - nope
I thought it may be the old loose shock, but with the new OME in there it still clunks.

WORN SWAYBAR - nope.
Then I thought it may be a worn bush on the sway bar so I got in there to find all of the rubber bushes in good condition and I tightend up the bolts... still clunking.

I cant find anything loose nor can I rattle any of the suspensoin components when the car is stationary.

ANY IDEAS????? :confused:

If you haven't jacked up that side yet, I would try that and shake the wheel up and down and then side to side. My bet would be a ball joint is loose...

I'm betting ball Joint also! and don't wait if it is, I have seen them fail and it's not pretty.

I'm betting ball Joint also! and don't wait if it is, I have seen them fail and it's not pretty.

Exactly. My brother in law let his go on his old Blazer until one night he got in, put it in reverse, and the upper ball joint snapped. The wheel caved in and it was undriveable. Needless to say after an expensive tow back home, he learned to not let things like essential front end parts go...

I've been getting a loud metallic pop/creak when I drive my truck hard. It's not so much as a suspension clunk as I feel the clank coming through the body/frame. Still havent figured it out, but in the process of trying to find it I found I had a failed OME shock.

Ive just been told you cant just replace the ball joints you have to replace the lower controll arms or you will never get the same fit, and that its going to cost about 1200 USD..... im not a happy man this morning.

Last edited:
Ive just been told you cant just replace the ball joints you have to replace the lower controll arms or you will never get the same fit, and that its going to cost about 1200 USD..... im not a happy man this morning.

Ouch...not looking forward to that happening. Is that dealer price? Would CDan be an option for you? Good luck.

Not in the middle east and its probably not a job i want to tackle myself. thats the dealer price... im trying to find a good mechanic who can save me a bit on labor.

Search and you will find several people that have just replaced the lower (and upper) ball joints. I had it done on mine, no issues at all...about $85 for the parts (about $20 of that was for expedited shipping).

I did some serious reading on ball joints, there are some good threads on mud on how you dont have to replace the whole arms. I got home and jacked up the truck... ZERO play on either side which is GREAT!!! (all 4 boots look great, even a bit too new to be the origionals) I still don't know what the problem is. (there is serious rotational play about 15 degrees)

the tie rod ends boots are torn so ill replace those this weekend and Im still not 100% convinced its not the swaybar. My shocks are new so I'm going to remove the swaybar this weekend, (the rubber bushings look intact but perished) if the clunk goes away I know what the problem is.

I have 55mm droop, measuring properly (from the center of the hub to the fender lip)... Im assuming by front end had sagged allowing me to get a full three inches from where I started from.

The clunk was there before I did the lift and new suspension install.

Last edited:
If u can find tie rod end boots, let me know. Not a item sold by Toyota. They sell the whole tie rod complete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom