De-Smogging a 84' FJ60

BigSur

 
Joined
Feb 11, 2004
Messages
1,637
Location
Big D
So i am toying with the idea of desmogging my FJ60 and one question i have is what belt do you use to run the water pump?

What are the advantages of de-smogging?

Jason
 
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
1,343
Location
Roodepoort, South Africa
I got one for way cheaper then that, let me find the information today during lunch. It came from a Cruiser guy on the LCML. Great part, simple and less expensive. It was just a pulley and bracket that replaced my smog pump but used the stock mounting bolts and belt tensioner...
 
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
4,510
the sor one looks like a bling bling part, aluminum with their name engraved in it. I'd go for the cheap one stinkyfj60 is talking about.
 
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
260
Location
Hamilton, MT
I have seen people use a double pully on the alternator to run the water pump. I think you have to then use a string to measure the length of the new belt. Take the string to NAPA to try to find a match. They may let you go to the racks and just measure a bunch.

I have thought of the desmog as well. My smog pump is a shell so not working but everything else is intact. Mine runs great and at 15mpg with 230k. The only reason I have considered it is the power increase. I'm gonna watch this forum to see what happens.
Thanks,
Fish
 
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
1,343
Location
Roodepoort, South Africa
Found the info. It came from Jim Chenoweth (FJ40Jim@aol.com). I dont know if that is his current email addy but worth a try.
It is a part he built, black brackets and a nylon pulley, replaces the smog pump in its factory location and uses stock belt. I paid under $100 for it in the winter of 03. Been on there since and hasnt given me any problems at all.
 
Joined
Sep 25, 2004
Messages
22
Location
DeMotte,Indiana
I ran a Delco CS unit in place of the Smog pump,it was almost a direct bolt in.I got kinda lucky a buddy of mine knows a guy that runs and owns a Alt and starter rebuild shop,he bumped the alt up from 90 to 140 amp and rigged a pulley for it,which was a spacer and disc spacer disc then the nut.
The cool part is the belt lines up perfect ,the adjuster and lower bolts all work.The grinding I did was to emlarge the adjuster rail slighty ,very little did it with a die grinder in 10 sec
 
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
4,510
matt5783 said:
what are you going to do about theholes that the smog rail goes into ?
you plug them with a npt 1/4" allen bolt, or was that 1/2", do a search for npt plug you will find plenty of info on the plugs. here is two crapy pics showing plugs
 
Last edited:
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
4,510
stinkyfj60 said:
Found the info. It came from Jim Chenoweth (FJ40Jim@aol.com). I dont know if that is his current email addy but worth a try.
It is a part he built, black brackets and a nylon pulley, replaces the smog pump in its factory location and uses stock belt. I paid under $100 for it in the winter of 03. Been on there since and hasnt given me any problems at all.
do you have a pic of the pulley?
 
Joined
Oct 22, 2004
Messages
2,973
Location
Clemson, SC
What Vaccum hoses do you have to leave hooked up on the stock carb in order to keep it running, hey beaufort why don't you just make a trip up to clemson and help me de smog mine. I'll buy the beer and then ya can go wheelin with us. Thanks Chuck
 
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
4,510
CruisinTiger said:
What Vaccum hoses do you have to leave hooked up on the stock carb in order to keep it running, hey beaufort why don't you just make a trip up to clemson and help me de smog mine. I'll buy the beer and then ya can go wheelin with us. Thanks Chuck

my sister just moved to travelers rest yesterday, so I will probably coming up that way to visit. I shoot you a pm a week or two ahead of time.
 
Last edited:

GLTHFJ60

Rum Runnin'
SILVER Star
 
Joined
Apr 18, 2005
Messages
23,932
Location
Durham, NC
That's the vacuum line diagram for the 2F engine ( dirty ) from the factory, right? Does that work for all years of the 60 series?

:beer:
 
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
4,510
GLTHFJ60 said:
That's the vacuum line diagram for the 2F engine ( dirty ) from the factory, right? Does that work for all years of the 60 series?

:beer:
if you wanted it to run smooth, you would need the carb and dizzy to match the vacuum lines.
 
Top Bottom