DE-hooded junk (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1997 US spec FZJ80 beater edition :D
Last had hood open 3 weeks ago and since then have drivin about 3,000 miles mostly highway junk speed (80mph).

Never a problem like this till now.

Last night while on the highway taking my son on a trip, doing about 70mph (only go faster when it's only me) all of a sudden, the hood just lifts up - caught by the catch thankd goodness. After I pull over, drop it, make sure it's latched, I go about 1/4 mile and it happens again. This was about 1hr into the trip, so it's not like someone just messed with my rig while in a john or something.

Then this am, it happened again, thankfully only once on our way home. Note that this did not happen while hitting a bump, no high crosswinds, smoothe section of highway here - I don't get it.

Anyone ever have anything like this happen? Only thing I could think of is when they dropped in the new block in the fall and had the hood off that maybe it was misaligned? Is that possible?

Since this is obviously a safety issue and I don't want it to happen again, when my son is in the truck, I'd like to fix it asap - but may just try to get it to a Dealer :eek: to get it done right - too costly to not get it done right.

Anyone ever experience this?
Any thoughts on fixing it? The cable is not stuck, and the hand release near the left foot is fine - not stuck.

Thanks

junk,
i had this happen to me only once.  and apparently it was my fault.  after changing oil, i didn't drop the hood like i normally do, instead i "gently" slammed the hood.  after a little road trip i noticed that the hood popped up.  i got out of the car this time slammed the hood shut and hasn't happened to me since.

try lubing up all the latches.  with the mid atlantic slammed w/ snow storms this past winter possibly some salt has gotten itselef lodged in and corroded the latch causing it not to close properly.  also, clean up the rubber gasket strips inbetween the hood and the body.  

Junk,

Sounds like the latch is not fully locking or is busted. (you never bust anything, right?) If the doc will let you do some light stuff try this:
&nbsp:Depress the latch lower arm with a screwdriver and see if it moves smoothly to the lock position and then pull up on the bail to see if it stays locked. Remember don't shut the hood while the latch is tripped or you will be very mad at both of us. ::) To release, pull the lever on the dash. If the latch is toast it's a 53510-60011. It lists for $38.75, a smart shopper could probably find one for around 29 bucks.

Good luck, Dan :beer:

You may also inspect the striker on the hood to see if it is mating to the latch properly.

Junk,
:eek: scary! Please let us know what you find??
could the latch itself, or maybe the where it hooks the hood itself be worn??
Eduardo

Junk,

In addition to CDan's suggestion, check the latch if it's loosen overtime (and pushed down a bit by the striker thus not fully locked). You could move the latch up a little bit to test if the problem reproduces. Also, even though very unlikely, but were the hood stoppers altered by any chance ?

Frank.

I know you mentioned that the cable felt good but just a month ago I had to replace mine. Not for this problem but for not completely releasing all the time. It wasn't that expensive and easy to install as long as you taped the new one on the end of the old one so it would follow along as you pulled out the old one.
I figure the hood has been opened about 30 times. Not much use compared to the gas flap which is still working just fine.

Junk maybe just throw some retaining bolts through the hood and pretend its a trail safety mod. Pretty soon other 80 owners will want them.

Junk maybe just throw some retaining bolts through the hood and pretend its a trail safety mod.  Pretty soon other 80 owners will want them.  
:D :D :D
come awn Junk, You know you wanna...
1053066805_hood_pin.jpg

Moralien - are those adult toys? :D Nice avatar.

It's fixed. (and thanks Cdan for the email btw).

Prob was that the hood was about 1/16 too far forward from when they had it off droping in the new 1FZ-FE. Fixed now and the dealer gave me a few goodies for my time. :D

Of course on the way there when I stopped for gas and shut off the truck it wouldn't start because the crappyola starter is going again - only the 3rd time in 2 years now. Gave it a few whacks as folks wondered what I was doing, gave them the salute
huh.gif
started up and drove away. Good thing me gottem contacts :D.

Moralien - are those adult toys?
Don't tell me you have not seen them... ::)
They are the latest gizmo for keeping Ben Wa balls put :-*

And speaking of avatar's I think you should make that little old lady yours... (Avatar that is)

Junk..
You like welding stuff right? Just weld the F-ing hood shut Permantely~! :G You could also weld the doors shut and slide in and out of the LC ..DUKES OF HAZARD STYLEE!! :G

[glow=green,2,300]LATER[/glow] :p

[glow=red,1,300]GO RED SOX ![/glow]

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Junk..
You could also weld the doors shut and  slide in and out of the LC ..DUKES OF HAZARD STYLEE!!  :G

[glow=red,1,300]Sox blow! :D [/glow]
:beer: :beer: :beer:

Like this?
dukes%20fj45.jpg

Yeah Moralien - I've seen them - gots me a cuz that's running fast cars around fast tracks on tv. Maybe it's not a bad idea. :D

So the 45 was a long time warped dream that finally came to fruition.

Fawk, you're as bad as Junk-in-his-trunk Fuggly! Pulling up s***e from ten years ago .. :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

I think he feels bad enough about being stuck in that bucket of bolts 45, without you reminding him .. ;p

TY

Glad you got it fixed. Curious on the starter if you replaced the contacts and the plunger the other times.

Yah, I was going to chime in and strongly suggest you slap a new plunger in at the same time. Guess i did. So, did you do this previously, or are you about to find out replacing the plunger would have been the best thing to do then as now??

DougM

You guys are funny. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom