De-fire trucking a Hilux fire truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I decided to do things the hard way for my Hilux build. Picked up a 95 JDM Hilux LN107 fire truck off BaT mainly bc of the low miles (6k) and no rust. And it was local. The drivetrain truly is solid, feels tight. Issue is the bed. I've been able to find a rough one in Dubai which would be a little under 2k delivered and then there's body and paint for the whole truck. The red is actually in good shape. So for now I went the angle grinder way and was able to cut off most fire truck things. Luckly the light bar was riveted so I was able to cut out the rivets which are hidden undert he door line and it came off with only 1 scratch. I think I can cover up most of the cuts with touch up paint and maybe that diamond plating metal for the bed rails. Left with the storage bins which actually can be unbolted but the sides of the bed have the deep cut outs. Not sure if it would look wierd. Any advice for that area? Really blocks visibility.

The tailgate area seems too modified for an actual tailgate so may have to go the net route for now.

Otherwise grill bumper and trim are shared with some US models. Wheels/tires incoming. Basic fluids filters etc doing myself. Pics will be incoming slowly.

Screen Shot 2023-03-17 at 11.26.22 AM.png

IMG_8501.jpg

IMG_8502.jpg

IMG_8503.jpg

IMG_8504.jpg

Build a ute style tray! Cool truck.

I was watching that on BaT. If it had been an '84-'88, I would have been bidding against you!

Making progress. There were US model chrome bumpers that look like they would fit but turns out the threaded studs for mounting where different. Then I thought I'd just change the bumper mounts but only 1 side available from Toyota oddly. Ordered aftermarket parts and they looked like they were made from tinfoil, poorly. So decided to stick with the original. Can't chrome plate in MD so drove up to Phili and had my original bumper chrome plated.

IMG_8594.jpg

Luckily the chrome grill is available and fits perfectly with the associated emblem.

But can't seem to find the corner lamps in chrome. There are US ones the physically fit but they are flat and have 1 lamp where the original has 2 lamps and has a "bulge". So keeping the original for now until I can find the right now. Barely noticeable.

IMG_8904.jpg

IMG_8905.jpg

Did the usual fluids and filters, lots of shared parts so I could get a lot from my dealer. Replaced the shocks (Dobinsons) and sway bar bushings.

IMG_8792.jpg

IMG_8885.jpg

Removing red from the truck has been a chore, its everywhere. Took the original steelies to get powder coated and even they had a hard time stripping the red.

IMG_8758.jpg

IMG_8729.jpg

found a local automotive fabricator/welder. I'll see if he can modify existing bed back to stock in order to accomadate a tailgate (seems doubtful to me). or shorten a US single cab bed. may be able to get a DC bed from the middle east but condition is an issue. there are awesome tray options from SET overland but they are super pricey. saw an HZJ 70 series dc fire truck that it fit well on.

IMG_8908.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom