DDoD - My High Mileage 99 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Welp, since I last updated this thread, I moved, went off in my camper and left the poor DDoD to sit after moving.
Upon return, I went to investigate a grinding brake and found a caliper piston was getting into a rotor in the rear.

This week, I pulled apart the rear brakes, dissasembled my ARB front locker, decided that I need new thrust washers for that, then got buzy working on the rear end.
I learned how to pull the rear axles and dropped the rear diff after a morning of cursing. After fighting some very tight bolts, I had to disconnect the locker motor assembly before the diff would come out of the housing.

I also added some new tools to my bench - a decent dial indicator inch/lb torque wrench, a 250lb torque wrench and I treated myself to a Mitutoyo micrometer. I also picked up a set of seal/race drivers.

Right now, I'm sipping a beer and letting my arm ache from breaking down my rear differential today.
I pulled the locker and dropped the old ring gear off - holy hell the thread locker on those bolts! There is no way in hell I'd have torn that down without my b** a** makita impact.
The ring side bearing was trivial to pull, not problem. The locker side is flush with small holes that are only visible once the bearing is cut up. I ended up grinding some slots into both sides of the bearing race so I could engage the bearing puller into the side of the race. Once that was done, it wasn't too bad to pull it.
Then I got to work on the pinon - Impact for the pinion nut, a bearing puller for the drive flange, then I pressed the pinion out on my shop press, followed by pressing the inner pinion bearing off of the pinion. The pinion oil seal was a total b*tch to pull, but I finally pulled it.
The rest of my afternoon was spent cleaning off the old gasket and wire brushing the diff. I still need to hit the pinion side a bit but I killed my drill battery and called it a day.
Next up I'll work reassembling the locker and rear diff and work on setting it up. This'll be my first set of gears, so I'm certain it'll be a trial and g*d *****ng d*mm*t process.

Last edited:
Tonight I worked on my rear diff just a little bit - finished wire brushing things, cleaned out the pinion seal surface a bit and pressed on the pinion bearings. Tomorrow I'll warm up the new ring gear and see if I can't get it mounted to the carrier. I figure slow and steady wins the race here - or gets the proper tolerance at least.

Rear end is done.
My arms and back were a bit sore after, but the 4.88s are installed and the diff is back in the rear, axles are back on, rear brakes were replaced - rebuilt calipers, new pads and rotors.
If I have a complaint - my drive pattern looked great, but my reverse/coast pattern has quite a bit of offset. I figure I'll send an email to Nitro just to check.
Bled the brakes - I'm going to say that a power bleeder just isn't needed on the LCs with the electric assist. So easy.

Took her for a test drive, specifically listening for any diff noise - all good so far. I'm loving the new gear setup. The difference in power to the road is notable.
Now I just need to get the front gears sorted.

Made a hair of progress on the front gears.
Took a total guess on the pinion spacer (I recycled the old master shim without thinking)
Got the ring gear on the ARB (totol PITA) and played with setting up the backlash a bit.
I... got close on the shim job and then I did a pattern - not enough shim on that pinion. Pattern was massively on the toe.

Back to the shop press I go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom