DD Ignition issues cont - Died and left me stranded today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Seems my probllem from my previous thread runs a bit deeper than I originally thought.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/239592-dd-wont-start-after-tune-up-please-help.html

Today the check engine light blinked every time I let off the gas on the highway. I was accelerating onto the on ramp and my RPMS dropped to 0 out of nowhere.

When cranking the engine, I pulled the wire off the coil and have no spark. She turns over but won't start obviously. I'm game for wrenching but have no idea how to diagnose the issues as a coil/ignitor or as a dizzy issue. Help is greatly appreciated.

I read every thread on ignitions last night and D'animal definately seems to know his stuff. :D

I did notice yesterday that when I let off the gas it sounded like a selonoid was switching off. When I was playing with the efi relay last night it made a very similar sound when I plugged it in. When the selonoid is plugged in, there is a hissing coming from the fuel injector area. I'm guess that is the cold start injector running? I hadn't heard that sound before when the key was in the ignition so I'm also investigating that.

Replacing the coil tomorrow I guess. The primary resistance is double what it should be. (Secondary resistance is right on) Not really convinced this is the issue based upon what I've read but I'm starting with the easiest things first....

Repeat after me: IT'S NEVER THE COIL! Learned this from a buddy who's the best American car mechanic I've ever met.

When the ignitor on my '83 FJ60 died I replaced it with an Accel 300+ setup - way cheaper & better spark. Only glitch was I had to add a Mallory adapter to get the tach to work.

That's what I'm afraid of. Luckily there are a few people on here parting 62's so this fix shouldn't derail some of my other purchases.....

I assume you have the FSM & basic electrical tools like a test light & a multi-meter. That's how I diagnosed my ignitor.

Coils almost never fail and if they do, they are usually a smoking mess that is obvious. Coils are easy to test without replacing them. Disconnect the wires and then connect the + post to battery +. Then momentarily ground the - post and a big fat spark comes out the center.

I had a similar problem on my 60 and it was the dizzy. Coil wire in it had broken. Replaced my dist and it solve the problem. I just traced the power from the battery to the Dizzy to find the broken link. Dont know if its the same setup on the 62.

Unfortunately I ordered my FSM last Monday. It should be here next week. Hoping to have something pinned down by end of day today....

I appreciate you guys taking the time to offer up suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom