DC driveshaft orientation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know the OE orientation of the 40 series driveshaft has the slip joint closest to the t-case. However, I am running a mini-truck shaft with a U joint and a DC joint. The slip joint is closest to the Ujoint. So, if I put the slip closest to the t-case, I feel I am not taking advantage of the DC joint, since the rear pinion is pointed at the tcase. Does anyone know if there is a "rule of thumb" on this situation? I think I will wind up running it backwards - in other words slip joint closer to the diff.

PS - I ran it this way for 1 1/2 years now until I spun the shaft recently, and it was brought to my attention that I had it "backwards" to conventional wisdom.

:beer: R

I have been running the DC at the t-case in the back of my 40 for over 10 years now. The 'conventional' wisdom is that when you run the double cardan, you 'zero' the pinion angle and let the two joints in the DC split the driveshaft angle, and that's what I did.

Best

Mark A.

Perfect. Thanks Mark. Wish I had posted this up BEFORE I bolted it in yesterday.

:beer: Ramon

I have been running the DC at the t-case in the back of my 40 for over 10 years now. The 'conventional' wisdom is that when you run the double cardan, you 'zero' the pinion angle and let the two joints in the DC split the driveshaft angle, and that's what I did.

Best

Mark A.
Howdy! 2X what he said. I have run custom driveshafts both front and rear on my Piggy with the DC next to the transfer case. Works great on the trail and the freeway for way over 10 years. John

The whole point and purpose of the DC requires that it be at the T/C end

Mark...

yea, it takes some getting used to as it just looks wrong but that's the way it goes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom