dc driveshaft install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello everyone. I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong with my driveshaft install. My cruiser has a 4" lift with 35" bfg km3's. I just installed new 4.88's and air lockers. Since I have done this, I am now able to cruise comfortably on the freeway. Only issue is the vibration I am now experiencing and was expecting with the new found speed. I had a dc shaft put together at my local driveshaft shop. Question I have is, can I install the shaft with the dc on the front diff or does it need to be on the t-case? I'm running into a clearance issue if the latter. Has anyone experienced this? If so, what was the remedy? Thanks in advance.

hello everyone. I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong with my driveshaft install. My cruiser has a 4" lift with 35" bfg km3's. I just installed new 4.88's and air lockers. Since I have done this, I am now able to cruise comfortably on the freeway. Only issue is the vibration I am now experiencing and was expecting with the new found speed. I had a dc shaft put together at my local driveshaft shop. Question I have is, can I install the shaft with the dc on the front diff or does it need to be on the t-case? I'm running into a clearance issue if the latter. Has anyone experienced this? If so, what was the remedy? Thanks in advance.

Needs to be at the tcase. What is the clearance issue?

You also need to rotate the axle to have a zero degree angle at the pinion joint or the DC isn't going to help.

The two ways to install a driveshaft for vibration free running are
1 - regular joints with both flange surfaces parallel

2- the t case level and the pinion pointed directly at the t case flange and the dc end on the t case

Unfortunately that means you have to have the dc joint on the t case. Those centers on the dc joint are big. You may have to build one with a smaller joint.

Hope it works out, good luck!

The two ways to install a driveshaft for vibration free running are
1 - regular joints with both flange surfaces parallel

2- the t case level and the pinion pointed directly at the t case flange and the dc end on the t case

Unfortunately that means you have to have the dc joint on the t case. Those centers on the dc joint are big. You may have to build one with a smaller joint.

Hope it works out, good luck!

Yes, but his problem is interference due to the diameter of the CV assembly.

It’s also possiblewith a parallel setup to max out the u-joint operating angle. I tried this once and while it didn’t vibrate, it was incredibly noisy.
AA0907F1-6CB7-4766-AC6F-A76BFDD1980D.jpeg

Also the parallel set up means no caster and a lousy driving experience, unless you did a cut and turn on the axle, which is deep stuff.
Smaller diameter dc end is the fix it looks like

Thanks for the answers. I have done the caster correction plates already. Truck drives nicely with the exception of the vibration. I will try to source another shaft with a smaller c/v. Bummer!

Thanks for the answers. I have done the caster correction plates already. Truck drives nicely with the exception of the vibration. I will try to source another shaft with a smaller c/v. Bummer!

My Tatton has 1310s. It works. Sourcing a Toyota shaft would likely be optimal. I find the spicer CV assemblies chunky and tend to self-clearance on droop.

Also the parallel set up means no caster and a lousy driving experience, unless you did a cut and turn on the axle, which is deep stuff.
Smaller diameter dc end is the fix it looks like

No, putting the flanges parallel increases the caster considerably. When we tried this on mine the vehicle actively tried to return to center, to the point that the wheel we fighting me on sweeping turns.

No, putting the flanges parallel increases the caster considerably. When we tried this on mine the vehicle actively tried to return to center, to the point that the wheel we fighting me on sweeping turns.

Same here, at approx 4" of lift to get pinion flange parallel to t-case flange, I ended up with too much caster. The operating angle of the joints was also more than I preferred and worried about premature wear on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom