Day-Trips near Sedona, AZ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, we have scorpions in Sedona.

There are a lot of good suggestions already in this thread. I'd recommend picking up a free off road trails map at the red rock ranger station on your way into town (if you come in via 179). There are a lot of places to go in west Sedona. Robber's Roost is a fun destination and you'll end up with great pictures if you go there.

I might be able to show you around a bit, but can't commit right now with so many projects on my hands.

I second going down Schnebly - the improved views are worth the planning. I was always stopping to turn around and take pictures, and pretty sure I missed some views. I am told the paved road north out of Sedona is also worth driving.

I second going down Schnebly - the improved views are worth the planning. I was always stopping to turn around and take pictures, and pretty sure I missed some views. I am told the paved road north out of Sedona is also worth driving.

Paved road is probably 89A up thru Oak Creek Canyon. Just too bad there isn't a way to cut across to Schnebly Hill RD past the switchbacks on 89A and your out of the canyon. Have to drive to Pullam Airport exit on I-17 to head back down to Schnebly Hill RD exit. Think you can cut thru around Kachina Village but not worth it as would take longer cutting across.

Clunky is correct on Robber's Rooster, and you could combine this with a stop at Palatki or Honanki. Diamondback Gutch OHV is also in that area and very doable, but fun. As people have suggested, you have two general groupings of trails Broken Arrow/Schnebly Hill and then the others grouped in West Sedona. From the West Sedona grouping you can also pick your way over to Clarkdale and pick-up the wine trail to tasting rooms there or in Cottonwood (don't miss Tumbleweed winery).
Either grouping is easily a solid 1/2 day and can extend to a full day if you're stopping, hiking, etc. Given the time of year, I'd probably save the West Sedona grouping until it's cooler. Hit Broken Arrow in the morning, head up Oak Creek canyon to come down Schnebly Hill in the afternoon. Hint on Broken Arrow, there are quite a few one way stretches. The best way to avoid having to backup is following a Pink Jeep. The radio each other to determine when those stretches are open for travel in one particular direction.
Wish I was in town next weekend, and would love to join you on the trails. We could twist @Clunky's arm and make it a Copper State mini-event!
Oh... for your wine tasting days, check to see when DA Ranch is open. Their hours are not regular, but worth making the time for. Heartwood is an up and comer in my book, but not sure that they have a tasting room yet. Page Spring Cellars will be packed, but rightly so.

Last edited:
I live in the Coconino National Forest and have seen no scorpions here. Snakes, Coyotes, Elk, Bears, Deer sure just to name a few. And Antelope. I live up by the Rim though.

Yes, we have scorpions in Sedona.

There are a lot of good suggestions already in this thread. I'd recommend picking up a free off road trails map at the red rock ranger station on your way into town (if you come in via 179). There are a lot of places to go in west Sedona. Robber's Roost is a fun destination and you'll end up with great pictures if you go there.

I might be able to show you around a bit, but can't commit right now with so many projects on my hands.

Thanks for the guidance on a route, I have been compiling gps and trail data but a hard copy is always a must have.

Definitely plan on going from the 17 back toward Sedona. The views are almost the most important part.

Clunky is correct on Robber's Rooster, and you could combine this with a stop at Palatki or Honanki. Diamondback Gutch OHV is also in that area and very doable, but fun. As people have suggested, you have two general groupings of trails Broken Arrow/Schnebly Hill and then the others grouped in West Sedona. From the West Sedona grouping you can also pick your way over to Clarkdale and pick-up the wine trail to tasting rooms there or in Cottonwood (don't miss Tumbleweed winery).
Either grouping is easily a solid 1/2 day and can extend to a full day if you're stopping, hiking, etc. Given the time of year, I'd probably save the West Sedona grouping until it's cooler. Hit Broken Arrow in the morning, head up Oak Creek canyon to come down Schnebly Hill in the afternoon. Hint on Broken Arrow, there are quite a few one way stretches. The best way to avoid having to backup is following a Pink Jeep. The radio each other to determine when those stretches are open for travel in one particular direction.
Wish I was in town next weekend, and would love to join you on the trails. We could twist @Clunky's arm and make it a Copper State mini-event!
Oh... for your wine tasting days, check to see when DA Ranch is open. Their hours are not regular, but worth making the time for. Heartwood is an up and comer in my book, but not sure that they have a tasting room yet. Page Spring Cellars will be packed, but rightly so.

Your suggestion about Broken Arrow -> Oak Creek Canyon -> Schnebly Hill is likely what we will be doing, maybe with lunch in Flagstaff visiting family before Schnebly Hill.

Also thanks for the advice about the wineries, we are staying in Cornville so I will look into DA Ranch.

As you come down Schnebly, I'd recommend a stop and a short walk out towards the cowpies / hangover trail. Well, you can make it a short walk or a long hike, but the views of Sedona and the rock formations are great there.

Last edited:
I'll second DA Ranch winery. If it is open, make the time. Lumberyard Brewery in Flagstaff is a good spot for lunch if you make it up here.

Third DA Ranch. Beautiful estate and their Tannat is as good as any.

Thanks for the recommendations about DA Ranch, just made a reservation.

Just to close the loop, Sedona and N. AZ was amazing, but the truck gave me a little headache on Broken Arrow. Made it to the top just fine and was an amazing trail. I turned it off to get out and look at chicken rock and take pics. Get back in the car and it wont start, just cranking, cranking away. I did some desperate checks here and there with no luck. Bottom of the truck was fine with no leaking fluids or gas, plenty in the tank and temp gauge was fine. I had a feeling it might have been the fuel pump but was not about to tear apart the carpet to access the fuel pump just yet.

After about 1.5 hours of trying to figure out whats wrong and getting desperate thinking about how we were going to get out of there, I try starting it again and it starts and runs just fine. I have no idea what the problem was, is vapor lock really an issue with these trucks? Is my fuel pump going out? I am severely losing confidence in the truck at this point after total brake failure a couple months ago, now this happens on the trail.

I didnt have confidence to try Schnebly Hill after that ordeal.
MVIMG_20190706_132857-EFFECTS.jpg
MVIMG_20190706_133137.jpg

Sorry to hear about your problem.

Shnebly hill is much longer but, is a much easier trail.

I had the same problem several years ago on a hunt in the middle of nowhere, 3 hours from the nearest paved road. Anyway, half hour later after climbing over and through everything under the hood, in the dark, my brother looks at me and asks; Is it in park? I look at him and say; What do you think I am - stupid? Turns out - I was stupid, left it in drive when I stooped for some dumb reason.

I don't think vapor lock can happen with our pressurized fuel system.

First place I would check are the battery connections (I once thought I had a good connection, would not start intermittently. Finally once getting a jump the person helping me, he saw an arc when cranking. AHHH, lose connection. Clamp was tight but was not making a good connection. Pulled it apart, re-terminated and, no more issues. The issue only surfaced, and you won't believe this, after our last trip up to Sedona and taking Broken Arrow and Schnebly hill. I believe that the vibrations exacerbated the connection. Again, no issues since then.

Next step would be to make sure the grounds are good, and the connection to the starter are clean and tight. If that fails, check the solenoid.

Not an automotive electrical expert my any means and beyond this, should consult with the electrical gurus on mud.

As far as the trip goes and getting stranded where you did, can you think of a better place to get stranded!

@Clunky I second the hike on Hangover, tremendous views. One of my favorite Mtn bike trails in Sedona. Been riding it since it was a secret off the grid trail. Hand cut singletrack and views out towards Midgely Bridge are stellar!

Ask Brice.......we have had this happen before and Jackson has linked the issue above. The 100 always starts after it cools down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom