Day of Reckoning? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there, as you may know I have been restoring a 1970 FJ40. I have some thoughts that I want to share.

I have both a soft top and a hard top. Soft top is brand new. Soft top doors are being restored as well all matching, etc. I also have the safety straps and the brackets that hold onto the hinges.

On the hardtop its fully restored, new shiny glass for the back gate door, everything sent to rechroming, etc. Fiber glass top was repainted and it has a new gutter and gaskets as well as a new OEM interior light.

I also installed an OEM roll bar which was painted black and has SOR pads. Also, I installed the shorter jumpseats with legs all again restored with new upholstery.

If you go through my restore build you'll see pretty much what I have done to it.

My question are:

0. Its not my only car, I have a 2008 BMW X3, a 1962 Ford Anglia ending its restoration and a 1963 Triumph Spitfire in red. So other than the BMW, none of my classic cars are intended as daily drivers.

1. I live in Texas, winter is cold but rarely snows in Houston. Summer is brutal. Why would I want to use my hardtop other than in winter?

2. (I think I know the answer to this question), does anyone use their a/c with their softop on? (I would guess you don't right?)

3. Why should I install the brand new CCOT a/c unit? I also bought the Vintage Air bracket for it and had it powder coated so installation on the 1.5F is not a pain.

4. Why would I have two tops? I like them both, but for originality sake, I'd probably use the soft top more. Maybe I could sell it at about 2K fully restored?

Installing it may cost me another $400. If I don't install it, and along with the VA powder coated bracket, and the custom made OEMized a/c knobs for the a/c unit, I could get back $1,000 by selling it. I mean the unit is new in box.

What are your thoughts? Suggestions. What would you do in my place?

Thanks.

I'd keep the AC in the box but not sell it. Try a summer without it and see what you think. Personally I have a hard top and if I had to choose one I'd probably stick with that- but I'm not in Texas anymore. I grew up there and I know how hot it can get. Where I live now is also hot and very humid- but it also snows a ton. I think the soft top would be just fine in the winter there. But- why not keep both for the time being and try them out. Soft tops are very cool but the hard top is a nice unit as well. People that live in areas that got mostly soft tops wich they could have them.

I'll be trying out a soft top this summer and my truck has factory AC. If it gets as hot as last year You can bet I'll be trying it out.... I hope I find that I can do without it because I like simple and AC barely fits into my truck. It covers some relays and stuff that I may need to get to some day.

Pete

My question are:

0. Its not my only car, I have a 2008 BMW X3, a 1962 Ford Anglia ending its restoration and a 1963 Triumph Spitfire in red. So other than the BMW, none of my classic cars are intended as daily drivers.

I think you should use the Triumph as your DD I drove my 73 spitfire did for seven? years as my DD...it was a blast...well except for those electrical problems :rolleyes:

1. I live in Texas, winter is cold but rarely snows in Houston. Summer is brutal. Why would I want to use my hardtop other than in winter?

Soft tops can get damaged...I am on my 3rd canvas...mind you my last two were kayline replacement tops...and this one is a true canvas...so this one will last along time...but...anything can happen to it...think of the hardtop as insurance.

BTW I used to have the hardtop for mine sometimes i wish i still did.

2. (I think I know the answer to this question), does anyone use their a/c with their softop on? (I would guess you don't right?)

I would use it if I had it on some days.

3. Why should I install the brand new CCOT a/c unit? I also bought the Vintage Air bracket for it and had it powder coated so installation on the 1.5F is not a pain.

doesnt sound like your lacking for $$$ ...that would keep me from installing a CCOT A/C

4. Why would I have two tops? I like them both, but for originality sake, I'd probably use the soft top more. Maybe I could sell it at about 2K fully restored?

Installing it may cost me another $400. If I don't install it, and along with the VA powder coated bracket, and the custom made OEMized a/c knobs for the a/c unit, I could get back $1,000 by selling it. I mean the unit is new in box.

Are the costs getting too out of hand?
Thanks.

see above

A friend put AC in his CJ8 with a soft top, he really likes it and it works well. He runs with the sides rolled up most of the time, but being able to turn the AC on is nice, especially when it rains and you need a top on. If you have a matching hardtop I would keep that, they are nice in the winter or on longer trips, and if you sell it you will have a hard time buying a nice one back.

I thought that my wife was insane in 1998 when she insisted on AC in our new jeep TJ....in short, it was a brilliant addition. I ran mostly with a bikini top and hard doors from april to late Sept...it kept me cool enough that I could drive it to work and not be a sweaty mess when I got there.

I vote to keep both tops and put that AC in.

Doc

You won't want to use your hard top in the summer, though if you put in the A/C I guess it would be moot.

3. Why should I install the brand new CCOT a/c unit?

Dude, you live in bleedin' Houston! :doh:

4. Why would I have two tops? I like them both, but for originality sake, I'd probably use the soft top more.

More options is always mo' betta.

I live in north Texas; my lack of A/C does not bother me as long as I take the (hard) top off every summer. I also have other cars/trucks to drive that have A/C when it gets to be over 100. But I think that in Houston A/C might be nice.

I ran a bestop for a yr. It was a pain in the ass. I found in the winter the windows were a pain to keep clean & dry, too much cleaning hurts the plastic windows. They eventually get a haze in them. On the trail they suck because they get dirty & you can't really clean them because of the lack of water. You also get a lot of wind noise w/a soft top. I prefer running a hard top in the winter & a bikini top or no top in the summer. When it rains I drive my car.

I kept the hard top and doors for years before I finally got rid of them, there is really no need for them in Texas if it's not your DD. The A/C is really just a personal preference, although I can tell you that F1.5 will be a sluggish dog with it running ;) I keep mine in the garage with the bikini top on, I've got a soft top that I use every once in a while. You've got a factory soft top, the hard top is not going to make that much difference in value IMO -

Tucker

Last edited:
Good advice. I figure if the decision not to overspend in this car was ever made, it was made long ago. I think what I'm doing now is trying to rationalize if I need this much more to enjoy my car just as well. One thing I was told by both Vintage Air and Old Air, these new Sanden compressors do not eat up horse power like the former compressors. They say they are very easy on the engines. That the only problem comes is when its hooked up improperly, with low gas, or the car is not sufficiently weatherstrip. They also told me that having a good shape OEM type alternator is a must. They said some people prefer to install more powerful alternators but that that doesn't necessarily help much and that it does create more resistance to the engine and hence less compressor performance.

Id keep the hardtop for the winters and sell the soft and replace it with a bikini top for the summers.

Hey there, as you may know I have been restoring a 1970 FJ40. I have some thoughts that I want to share.

I have both a soft top and a hard top. Soft top is brand new. Soft top doors are being restored as well all matching, etc. I also have the safety straps and the brackets that hold onto the hinges.

On the hardtop its fully restored, new shiny glass for the back gate door, everything sent to rechroming, etc. Fiber glass top was repainted and it has a new gutter and gaskets as well as a new OEM interior light.

I also installed an OEM roll bar which was painted black and has SOR pads. Also, I installed the shorter jumpseats with legs all again restored with new upholstery.

If you go through my restore build you'll see pretty much what I have done to it.

My question are:

Thanks.
1. I live in Houston too, and sometimes we get hurricanes. The hard top might just help save your s*** one day.

2. My DD is a convertible. If it's not raining, the top is down and the AC is blasting, as well as the stereo. Why would you not want AC Houston?

3. See above. So you don't sweat as much.

4. Keep them both for different moods. Personally, I love the 40 with a hard top. Makes it look less like a Jeep.

If you decide to sell the AC I'm interested.

My 40 is not my DD, but I keep the hard top and doors around for the couple of months it gets (by TX standards) cold here. I think it really looks good with the top/doors on...nice for a change. I have a soft top as well, but have never put it on. I normally drive mine on the weekends only and run the bikini top. I have no interest in installing A/C, don't see the point really on a vehicle that has hardly any insulation. Plus, the dogs love to hang their heads out and be in the wind.

You've got a factory soft top, the hard top is not going to make that much difference in value IMO -

Looks like a hard top model to me with OEM style soft top added so I would think the original hard top would help the valve in a sale.

Looks like a hard top model to me with OEM style soft top added so I would think the original hard top would help the valve in a sale.
Really depends on the buyer, I wouldn't want to have to store the darn thing :frown: If he has the room I'd keep it since he's spent so much restoring it, if not I'd sell it. Good looking truck BTW ...

Tucker

I'd give a whole lot to have A/C in the 40 - it's just too damn hot in the summer in AZ

if I had an A/C lying around, for sure I would install it :doh: :bang:

if I had one, I would run a hardtop in the summer and the softtop in the winter - alas, since I don't have a hardtop, I would love nothing more than to use A/C even with the softtop

I should really look into the extra pulley . . . :hmm:

My 40 is not my DD, but I keep the hard top and doors around for the couple of months it gets (by TX standards) cold here. I think it really looks good with the top/doors on...nice for a change. I have a soft top as well, but have never put it on. I normally drive mine on the weekends only and run the bikini top. I have no interest in installing A/C, don't see the point really on a vehicle that has hardly any insulation. Plus, the dogs love to hang their heads out and be in the wind.

sorry for off topic... but how do you fasten your dogs for safety?
my dog hates skateboarders for some reason and i am in Downtown austin.:meh: I'd hate for her to jump ship on the way to redbud.

I would not care to run a soft top in Oregon in the winter. BTDT with another SUV. Cold, damp, drafty. Plus it's a lot of extra wear and tear, and the top is exposed to the rain for months.

I prefer not to run a hard top in the summer. Hot and heavy. Last year, though, it rained so much that I never took the top off. Usually take it off in early May, but this year may be a rainy repeat, so the top is still on.

I'll never bother with air conditioning. Just a headache I don't need. But we usually don't get long spells of Texas size summer heat here. I fixed up the rear hatch so it will stay open now, but it's sucking in exhaust fumes. Wish I could get decent airflow in the rear area.

I was going to put A/C in mine this summer, but have decided to hold off for a summer. It's not my DD, and as I work out of the house, even my DD doesn't get DD. Wasn't sure I wanted to pull the heater for the VA unit, and not all that sure I wanted to drop a grand anyway. We'll see after this summer. Austin summers aren't as humid as H-town's, but they do get toasty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom