Dave From Toyota - What We Learned In Breck About The 200... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think true autonomous driving is a lot further out than the proponents think it is.

Toyota has given some reporters early access to the new “Supra”. I’m using the quotes because, sadly, it appears to be little more than a badge-engineered BMW Z4 coupe, with an extra dollop of ugly.

From what I’ve read, the engine is, indeed, the BMW inline turbo six. It has ECU tuning from Toyota. I heard a claim that the Toyota version gets unique turbos, but I’m skeptical of that. Given BMW’s history of serious engine reliability problems (high pressure fuel pumps, valve train issues, etc.), this does not give me a warm feeling.

The transmission will be the 8-speed automatic made by ZF that BMW uses in most everything. As autos go, it is a good box, but no manual transmission will be available.

The suspension design is the same as the Z4, with spring rates and shock tuning done by Toyota.

The interior is all BMW, including iDrive.

This will be built on the same Magna Steyr production line as the Z4, using the same BMW parts from BMW suppliers. I seriously doubt this will have Toyota levels of reliability.

As a Toyota guy, this does not make me happy.

Glad you posted this—I’ve been following the news closely and I think you’re totally right.

Pretty disappointing that Dave from Toyota gave us bad info, or more likely, that Toyota decided to go cheap on the Supra and share R&D with BMW.

Couple things: 1)I owned a 2011 BMW Z4 (sDrive35i) with their 3.0 inline 6 turbo, and was not impressed overall. Solid acceleration, good power, but could not handle even a moderate track day without going into “limp mode.” Hopefully the Toyota unit is more stout.
2) I also owned a 2013 FRS manual transmission which had a Subaru motor and that car was incredibly reliable even at track events. I believe Toyota would only put a motor (even from collaboration on drivetrain) in one of their production vehicles if they’ve fully vetted it.

Finally, I currently have a 2018 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS and I believe the new Supra will be a direct competitor in terms of performance, but for less money. If that’s true and if they offer a manual, I will definitely be checking it out.

Interesting aside, all signs point to an EV tsunami coming soon. Toyota is late to the party on the Supra release. Most people want something fast but will never take their car to a track. All signs point to a Tesla model 3 as being a better choice vs. Supra. Inevitably, a model 3 performance will be considerably faster and the price will be comparable.

People (and manufacturers) are figuring out EV’s are potentially pretty badass.

Toyota’s typically very conservative “10 year product life cycle” could prove wise if Toyota suddenly jumps into the EV pool.

I think true autonomous driving is a lot further out than the proponents think it is.

I don’t know how far out level 5 driving systems are in terms of time, but unless you have experienced autopilot on a Tesla, you may not know how far we are down that road currently.

My Tesla does drive itself well—better than most humans—in most situations.

It also gets better all the time, with over the air software updates—something none of us humans can claim.

Toyota and Lexus are not the sexiest choice. A Porsche or Audi are both better at that. I just need it to work.

image (4).png

Last edited:
Maybe next year you should get Jan from Toyota instead...

ToyotaJan.jpg

Let me clarify, b/c you took it beyond my statement/intent and comparison.

What I say stripped down, I mean XLT/SR5 level. Nobody is talking about no A/C, no power steering. Those trim levels are what most want in a utility vehicle.

My opinion is that Toyota only offers the Land Cruiser/LX 570 in luxury trim at a premium price point because the they value the benefits of (1) "Prestige Pricing" and (2) they have the lower price points covered by higher margin products.
And now they do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom