Daughters first cruiser

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by musthave, May 27, 2018.

1. musthave

musthave It is what it is Supporting Vendor GOLD Star

Media:
    Albums:
    She has probably log about 500 miles on my vehicle with her learners permit. I think she has learned some of the most important items. The dimensions of the vehicle, the inability to make a left turn really fast in front of an oncoming car, and I have told her to always look for the soft landing when that time comes. Better to land in a ditch than to crash into a concrete pole, tree, garbage truck, or person. I guess it is all a matter of learning to drive proactively. Coming from a racing family it was all instilled in me at a young age.

2. BILT4ME

BILT4ME

Media:
    Albums:
    My 80 was the victim of a first car for a boy. He hit a guardrail on the RF corner, and another time he drove it into a house, so I'm told. The main thing is their family is NOT maintenance oriented, so it needed LOTS of work and that's why I got it cheap.

It would be OK for a first car, it has little acceleration, it's heavy, and if it has armor on the F/R, then it will save it even more for the minor skirmishes that may be encountered.

If your daughter has already done the stuff you're talking about....She'll be fine.

musthave likes this.
  3. LINUS

LINUS Waiting for the Great Pumpkin

Media:
    Albums:
    My nephew smashed my BIL T4R a bit.

It was a slicktop G2, so it was a real bonehead move by him - my BIL sold it to a guy making a real rig, so at least it was re-used.

My neice just got her license ~6-8mo ago, & got a ~15MPH over in a 35MPH zone ticket just this last month. Has a base model Ford Focus.

If she had an 80 then speeding would be a hard situation to explain - so they do have that as a benefit :hillbilly:

musthave likes this.
  4. thatcabledude

thatcabledude SILVER Star

No swerving. If something is in, or runs into the road, just run it over.

BILT4ME, musthave and LINUS like this.
  5. LINUS

LINUS Waiting for the Great Pumpkin

Media:
    Albums:
    A-fooking-men.

In a past life as a EMT-b I rode with the paramedics for hrs/qual cert.

People destroy themselves in the name of “swerving to avoid Bambi or some squirrel” -like Rocky & Bullwinkle BS. It’s amazing what old ladies do to avoid Bambi, even making their husband who survived WW2 a widower. Seriously.

A hoop bumper (as cheesey as the beam thickness is) -like an ARB should be like a “Peanut butter -n- jelly samich” package for all 80’s.

If you believe the vehicle was built for toughness, dump the POS chunk of rain-gutter bumper for anything she can truck down whatever stupid animal jumped on the asphalt.

ANY armor bumper should have come as a “dealer installed option” instead of the gay-a$$ alarm or hatch wing/running boards.

Cass007, Red Merle and musthave like this.
  6. Red Merle

Red Merle

Twin Ports of Superior, WI and Duluth, MN
    When I was 16, I would have driven an 80, 75 mph through a field and I would have walked away with a slow burn still festering. As it turns out, I drove my Dad's '92 Ford Aerostar with the five speed manual on the floor into a Nissan MPV at 80 miles an hour on a main route through a neighborhood. I launched his mini van like 50 feet with my mini van and I bent the steering wheel down like a taco and I broke my collar bone on the seat belt.

I was a bad driver. I was ready to go fast and crash a lot though as it turned out. I had to voluntarily hand in my license when I was 17 because keeping it would have cost them $10K per year and I had already crashed everything that I might get a sniff of driving anyway.

7. Andrew Bluemel

Andrew Bluemel

This is ridiculous I thought this was a thread on his new cruiser for his daughter.

Just cause I have to say my piece though cause this drives me crazy that a tank on wheels isn’t safe enough for a first car.....

I bought my cruiser at 15. 3 years later it’s still here :clap::flipoff2:. I can’t think of a better first car. Currently on a 1,500 mile roadtrip in it. Few cars that can wheel hard, cruise down the highway at 80 mph, and can sleep in the back of. I’ve learned it’s limits and I belive i am a better driver because of it. Also, pretty sure it’s the coolest car in the high school parking lot

4C64CADF-06E5-4C27-851F-EF4B2EF9899A.jpeg

8. Cass007

Cass007 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Another possible upside of an 80 as a first vehicle is that if while on a road-trip or coming back and forth from college (assuming that happens, most millennials seem to go) there is a mechanical issue, you can help diagnose over the phone and likely Band-Aid fix it to limp it home if needed.

Having had several vehicles throughout college and attending school 600 miles away from home I would have killed to have a vehicle as reliable as an 80. The gas would have been a killer, but it would have been parked most of the time on campus anyway.

9. ZackR

ZackR

Although pretty old at this point a Volvo 240 makes for a good first car. Durable, cheap, slow, easy to work on, "cool" and numerous enough that if it gets bent up nobody will cry too much. I had a major wreck in one when I was 17, being dumb and walked away from it.

An 80 would be fine as well, especially if you are in a rural area or spend a lot of time of dirt roads or in the snow. For a teenager I'd go with a 3FE model and leave it totally stock.

As you mentioned the key thing is teaching them to drive well. I'd research one of those apps that disables the phone while driving. That more than anything else scares me about teenage drivers in the modern era.

FJP971 likes this.
  10. musthave

Media:
    Albums:
    Picked up all the OEM parts. Managed to get the core support and ac drier. New OEM valance from Toyota. Now it’s time to start.

First, straighten the frame horn by about 1/16” with a bottle jack and 6X6 with a jack underneath. Hopefully tomorrow.

I’ve got 33 days.

11. slow95z

slow95z Always parting 80s GOLD Star

Media:
    if you dont mind me asking what did the core support run from toyota?

musthave likes this.
  12. myaktine

myaktine

Better an 80 with a ton of metal surrounding the cabin area... Than a RWD sports car. Or any other car that could look/sound like a sports car.

I'm hoping to keep my 80 another 10 years for my stepson, but he may end up in a 100. Currently though all he talks about is his "monster truck."

13. musthave

Media:
    Albums:
    Core support was from a donor cruiser. I had it powder coated. Not sure if still available.

14. slow95z

Media:
    oh, so mine then :p

i had someone else call me looking for one and i told him i had just sold my last one to you.

BILT4ME likes this.
  15. nukegoat

nukegoat

You are an 18 year old male and unlikely to be qualified on matters of vehicle safety. I hope you don't have to learn the hard way that a modern camry is going to be safer in the majority of impacts than your 80.

Edit: especially with a spare tire on your roof. Wtf.

16. Andrew Bluemel

Andrew Bluemel

No doubt I am not invinsible not saying that. Just saying from my 3 years of driving I have been fine. Bought it with 191k it now has 225k. Learned a lot in that time and has made me a better driver. I bet my cruiser is safer then your first car was.

And ya a small 35... crazy. Good thing those steel roof racks or skyboxes loaded with crap on it don't weigh anything.....

17. slow95z

Media:
    I am just going to call you out on the cruise at 80mph part. No way you pulled that off

18. Andrew Bluemel

Andrew Bluemel

Not up hills but it will cruise on flats at 80mph all day long running at 186-190.

(5.29s with no speedo correction btw and passenger took picture)

5296DE2A-728D-452E-B50B-0CB01A178544.png

19. nukegoat

nukegoat

You havent been in an accident with it though. I could say seatbelts are dumb because I would have been fine without one for the past 10 years.

20. cody c

cody c

This thread needs less "first car advice" that wasn't asked for and more build pics..

Just saying :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.