Builds Daughter of Rigger's 2000 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I need to replace my inner fenders, radiator support and hood due to rust. No welding needed on any of these parts? I thought the radiator support needed some. Awesome repair btw! It came out great @450LX

I need to replace my inner fenders, radiator support and hood due to rust. No welding needed on any of these parts? I thought the radiator support needed some. Awesome repair btw! It came out great @450LX
Yep no welding whatsoever, it all bolts together. I have no welder and absolutely no welding skills, so thank heavens it all bolted together!

This inspires me a bit but all I need right now is more stuff on my to-do list.

Man, after reading the whole thread, I was bummed to see that last picture, especially as the father of 2 girls that have driven our 80 for a while. Our 18 year old totalled her 4Runner when she was 16, so I'm nervous every time she drives the 80. It's a safe car, but I also wouldn't want to see it totalled!

Our 27 year old clipped a stop sign on a corner and began our fender flares removal process when she was 16.

Ugh.

Hope everyone in the car is okay! Personally, I still think the 80 series is a good first vehicle as long as a the kid(s) aren't too apprehensive driving the beast. Yes, it is more sad to see an LC busted up than say a Civic, but I like how driving an 80 requires more though and risk assessment if, and when, driving more aggressively. A buddy's 17-year old kid got a VW GTI as their first car. Aggressive driver as heck, but that's because the car allows them to be. Not so much with the 80!

Bump

We sold the wrecked 80, and ended up buying her this 2000 4Runner Limited. It had over 200k on it, had hit a ditch at one point and sustained minor damage, but was priced right and came with a spare set of wheels and tires. We took the plunge.

She has been driving it quite a while already. I put a couple grand in it; had the mechanic replace some seals so it would quit leaking oil. Also put new plugs in it, and a new starter. It mostly runs pretty good.

4Runner.jpg

A week ago, I changed the oil in it; regularly scheduled maintenance. Two days later, Princess calls, "Dad, the oil light is on." Hmmm. "Oh, now it's off." Double hmmmmm. Also said it was running a bit rough. Had her stop at the dealer, they poked around a bit, and said there was some misfire on cylinder #5. Not sure tho. Set a service appointment. We'll deal with it later. I checked the oil myself. Oil level is fine. Maybe 1/3 quart low. Topped it up. Good to go. Runs fine. Rough running condition seems to be intermittent, so it's fine now, so keep driving it.

Three days later, she reports that driving home the previous night, the temperature needle pegged. :oops: She ran the heater and limped home. I was concerned because I have heard the stories about overheating and ruining a motor.

Next morning, I checked the coolant. It was low. Very low. It took five (5) quarts of coolant to top it up. Yikes. I 'bout crapped my shorts. After filling it up. I took it out for a drive. Runs fine. Starts, runs, drives, smooth, temperature comes up to middle of the gauge and stays there where its supposed to be. Did we get lucky?

So at this point, I would say it probably has been leaking or burning coolant for a while, undetected. We did not notice because it was a cold winter. Now that the weather is warming up, the condition became more clear. The hot engine may have caused an issue with cylinder #5 ignitor? I think we either dodged a bullet, or there's now some serious damage that is gonna show up sooner or later.

For today, the 'Runner (my daughter calls it "Janice"!) is happy and seems to be fine.

Sounds like early onset head gasket failure to me. The 5vz is not prone to HG issues, but it can still happen. Especially at higher mileage.

A couple other 3g 4runner issues you should know about as the caring dad you are:
1) front lower ball joints need to be replaced with new OEM toyota (not moog, etc) if you do not have a service record for this. They are known to fail without warning, basically dropping a front wheel off the car at speed. DANGER!
2) Keep a very close eye on the radiator and maybe replace if you don't have any history on it. The barrier separating coolant from transmission fluid is known to go bad, introduce coolant into the trans fluid and trash the transmission.

A few more comments about this 'Runner:

Everything works on it; all power windows work, sunroof works, cruise control, heater, a/c, 4x4 system, etc. etc. - it all works perfectly. It is a very nice driving rig. We got it for like $4,000 a year and a half ago, and now similar examples are available for nearly twice that much. I really feel like we got a pretty good deal on it.

The radio antenna was snapped off in the PO's ditching and there is minor sheet metal damage associated with that. Also Princess banged into someone at a traffic light and caused some grill damage, but it was a low speed bump, so nothing serious. The driver seat leather is not in great shape.

Sounds like early onset head gasket failure to me. The 5vz is not prone to HG issues, but it can still happen. Especially at higher mileage.

A couple other 3g 4runner issues you should know about as the caring dad you are:
1) front lower ball joints need to be replaced with new OEM toyota (not moog, etc) if you do not have a service record for this. They are known to fail without warning, basically dropping a front wheel off the car at speed. DANGER!
2) Keep a very close eye on the radiator and maybe replace if you don't have any history on it. The barrier separating coolant from transmission fluid is known to go bad, introduce coolant into the trans fluid and trash the transmission.

I appreciate these pointers. I will have these ball joints inspected. I assume that they get loose and wobbly as they age/wear?

I have very little in the way of service history on the truck. I am going to study replacing the radiator myself.

There are many examples of LBJ's that let go with no prior symptoms. That's why it's conventional wisdom in the 3g 4R community to just replace them at around 150k. Same goes for tacomas, sequoias and tundras of the same vintage.

And congrats on the great deal! I sold my last 4runner I think in 2013 or 2014. Little did I know it would double in price if I had just hung on to it. :cool:

Congrats on the 3rd gen!

I would go ahead and change the ball joints out anyway to be safe if there's no history of them being done previously. It's relatively inexpensive and a pretty easy job for the peace of mind.

I appreciate these pointers. I will have these ball joints inspected. I assume that they get loose and wobbly as they age/wear?

I have very little in the way of service history on the truck. I am going to study replacing the radiator myself.
I’ve been told that the play in a worn Toyota lbj is almost undetectable until they are removed. I just swapped mine for new oem and put the old ones in a box for spares

11 days later - checked coolant - added a gallon.

:oops::oops::oops:

front lower ball joints need to be replaced with new OEM toyota (not moog, etc) if you do not have a service record for this. They are known to fail without warning, basically dropping a front wheel off the car at speed. DANGER!

They don't fail without warning, there a number of warning signs, ur avg Joe just doesn't understand how to read/listen to what the vehicle is trying to tell u. If u follow the normal maintains schedule and properly do a suspension shake down u wont have any issues, u can tell when ballpoints are bad by reading the wear pattern on the tires as well. While u won't go wrg with OEM as long as u get moog parts made in japan u'll be fine.
11 days later - checked coolant - added a gallon.

The 3.4L is known for developing cracks in the heads, depending on where said happens can lead to issues like coolant consumption, generally individuals don't have a clue their heads are cracked and vehicles engine lives a normal amount to time. I've taken heads from running engines to the machine shop only to learn after one of the heads is cracked, enough times that I take 3 heads when I rebuild a 3.4L.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom