Dash upgrade (1981 to a 1983/4) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Adelaide, S. Australia: Lightforce Country
Website
www.lightforce.com
I searched extensively, but didn't find anything about this. If you know of any links please put them up.

OK. I'm looking at several options for building up an FJ45 Troopy and wanted to inquire about how how hard it would be to upgrade the dash from a 1981 to the 1983/84. I want to do this for the in dash stereo space & updated look.

Is this possible or even worth it?

Is the dash welded on or bolted on?

Thanks in advance.

-Ben

unless you have access to the later dash, it's going to be hard to find one. the insert piece is rare.

the dash is welded on both pillars and spot welded along the top of the cowl, and the glove box spot welds

unless you have access to the later dash, it's going to be hard to find one. the insert piece is rare.

the dash is welded on both pillars and spot welded along the top of the cowl, and the glove box spot welds

Thanks for the input. Getting a dash is easy since it's a RHD and I have lots of parts contacts in OZ.

I will look at my dash and see how secure it is with the welds.

Cheers,

-Ben

You can cut the early dash to fit the later dash insert. It will cover the ashtray hole and others. I have an insert to do that to mine, but haven't done it yet. I have seen earlier cruisers for sale in AU with the dash conversion done. IIRC, there might be some slight differences, but wouldn't be very noticeable.

You can cut the early dash to fit the later dash insert. It will cover the ashtray hole and others. I have an insert to do that to mine, but haven't done it yet. I have seen earlier cruisers for sale in AU with the dash conversion done. IIRC, there might be some slight differences, but wouldn't be very noticeable.

Thanks. I looked at the 2 dashes side to side and think I will go with the full swap. I just don't want to cut off the bottom part of the metal dash to make the stereo fit and have to seal with the rattling and flex.

I will post here when I get the parts and probably have Cam & the guy's from Iron Pigs tackle this.

Cheers,

-Ben

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom