1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dash Repair

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by Red Herring, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Red Herring

Red Herring

Media:
    Albums:
    I have a golf ball size tear in my dash, and my vinyl guy says he canno repair it short of removing the dash, and re-vinyling it. Dash cover is the other, cheaper option.

Any suggestions for repairs? G&S... and decent dashes for sale?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2005
  2. silvercrusher

silvercrusher

I've seen some vinyl repair kits around but I think they are crap. You might try mounting a compass or something over the hole if you can?
    I have seen a dash fixed with premixed fibreglass boat filler. It turned out allright but the color match was a little off still looked better than a hole

3. brownbear

brownbear Mod in Hibernation Moderator

I think Wayne parted out a HJ61, maybe send him a PM or he will post up here.

4. Island Moose

Island Moose

Tauranga New Zealand via Vancouver Island Canada
    If you found the right color, you could re-vinyl it yourself in an afternoon. I've done lots of this on boats, motorcycle seats etc. Remoe the dash, pull the staples, use the old as a template to cut the new, spray on some adhesive, warm the vinyl, stretch and staple and Bob's your uncle.

5. Red Herring

Red Herring

Media:
    Albums:
    Pulling the dash is certainly the way to do it properly. They could rebuild it if i could pull the dash, and it would'nt be that expensive. Sounds a little intimidating, whats involved in pulling the dash? Might be an interesting project.

6. Island Moose

Island Moose

Tauranga New Zealand via Vancouver Island Canada
    A dash is just there with a million screws. Find them all and it comes off nice and easy. Sometimes you have to pull the instrument cluster first, and things like the HVAC controls/radio...depends on the model.