Dash rattle ! Anyone? Did search... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Seems that everything I've experienced w/ the 80 has been experienced by someone else here, soo...
did search and can't find similar.. and this noise is making me not want to drive the thing on the road..!

When going over bumps, there is a loud hard platicky rattle coming from what sounds like behind and to the left of the DS dash/inst. panel. Been doing it for couple months now. Just so happens I did the temp mod this weekend, so I checked everything-- no hints. I've tried pushing everything in sight while driving and hearing it. Not really a foreign object rattling sound, so don't think it's something in the vent. pretty loud- like a plastic mounting bracket is hitting something.... arhgg!

anyone..? bueller? anyone?

I have a nervous obsession with rattles.
I can't stand to have change rattling in the ashtray, and I'm considering lining the glovebox with some kind of rubber or foam.

I don't have your problem, but I'd bet you need to tear apart the dash to find it.
Good luck.

Hayes

I had the same problem. Take the top left dash kinda off and put some foamwith the sticky stuff in there you will see where it rubs when you lift it up.
Did mine 3 years ago and silent still. I still cant figure out how to make the moon roof quite on the bumpy freeway.

I am having the exact same rattle in mine. I can also hear it when I close the door engine running or not. I checked under/behind the dash but couldn't see anything or feel anything loose. I am about ready to take the dash apart to see if I can find anything. I also would like to see if anyone has had a similar problem that they were able to resolve.

My rattle comes from the glove box area. I've tightened everything I can find. Seems like the whole assembly is loose. And dont get me started about the barn door. That thing rattles like a sonofab*&tch. I've tried everything - short of leaving it open:eek:

My truck is all rattles.....

jcolegrove said:
When going over bumps, there is a loud hard platicky rattle coming from what sounds like behind and to the left of the DS dash/inst. panel. Been doing it for couple months now...
John

'97 LC w/ 105k. No mods, but fake wood, oem tires, pink panties.

Maybe its those pink panties you stole from a LX owner :flipoff2: they don't like being away from the :princess: of their LX :cheers:

177mph said:
My rattle comes from the glove box area. I've tightened everything I can find. Seems like the whole assembly is loose. And dont get me started about the barn door. That thing rattles like a sonofab*&tch. I've tried everything - short of leaving it open:eek:

My truck is all rattles.....

I had the same rattle, elongated the holes in the glove box latch so it could be adjusted tighter. That fixed the door, but the whole dash still moved slightly on the right side, tightening the dash mounting bolts behind the speaker grill and the little vent grill on top of the dash fixed it.

Tools R Us said:
I had the same rattle, elongated the holes in the glove box latch so it could be adjusted tighter. That fixed the door, but the whole dash still moved slightly on the right side, tightening the dash mounting bolts behind the speaker grill and the little vent grill on top of the dash fixed it.

Mine was the ABS brain or whatever the hell it is in the dash, just ot the right side of the glovebox. It was just resting against the shaped plastic of the dash and just needed to be re-atteched to it's mount.

That thing would rattle when cold, clunk over bumps and just make me nuts. The wife couldn't hear it at all.

I THOUGHT I had a dash rattle, but on further inspection discovered that it was actually the windshield. The PO had it replaced but they didn't use the right stuff to seal it. While you're driving, try to push/hold the windshield to see if the rattle stops. I'd almost place money on it...I've never had a Toyota dash rattle.

sorry- i'm just not a real man- no snorkel, big, flat tires, winch, etc, etc...!
but you guys sure make for interesting reading...

i will try the windshield as i know the PO had it replaced. thanks.
jc

If I had a dash rattle, it would be hard to hear over the wind noise from the low quality window gasketing.

I've had two dash rattles in my 80. The first was a mount on the passenger side where the dash bolts to the A-pillar. The little bracket is supposed to be spot welded to the A-pillar but the spot weld had broken.
The second rattle happened on my recent trip to FNQ. The corrugations have broken something around the radio/ heater/ AC area. While driving I diagnosed the area and I squashed up a piece of cardboard to put up in the gap between the heater box and the dash. This stopped the rattle but I still don't know what exactly caused this rattle. Damn, now I have go fix it. Thanks for reminding me about it. Guess I'll be doing this before I go wheeling this weekend.:doh:

FOUND IT. it appears to be one of the brains for the alarm system. had come loose and was rattling to the left and up of the dead pedal. sound REALLY sounded like coming from bottom of windshield. almost rattle free now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom