Dash Qi Charger - Running Power Cable Through Dash? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey y'all, been a while since I've been on here, but I just went wheeling this weekend for the first time in a few years, and I've fallen back in love with the rig to such an extent that I'm now toying around with all sorts of mod plans again. Gonna cut into the tailgate soon to install some boat hatches, a la a few other people on here (hat tip to AlohaJen for her thread on it, which I'll be following). But in the meantime...

I've got one of those phone mounts that wirelessly charges the phone. Obviously, this needs a power line to it, and it is a USB line. I've got it plugged into the 12v USB outlet ahead of the shifter, but I have to run the power cable up and across the dash, and I really hate having the wire out and visible like that. It messes with the look, and I'm always afraid something's gonna snag on it.

Is there a way to run a USB power cable through the dash and up to near the windshield, without disassembling the dash and dash mat? I did some searching on here, and it sounds like disassembling the dash is a real pain (I hate the exposed power cable, but not enough to tear my entire dash apart). Can I drill a small hole in the dash mat and fish something through from the glove box? Any other ideas? All suggestions welcome. Thanks y'all!

Also, if anyone lives around North Dallas and wants to help me (or be paid by me) to do the breather tubes extension mod, let me know, I just read about that and it sounds like a no-brainer to save trouble, but the instructions are baffling to me, with my limited technical knowledge. :cheers:

You can run a USB cable up the left side of the dash just inbound of the supports on the far left side. Out to the top of the dash and run along under the windshield gasket.
Or get a Wits End cubby mount and Bob's your uncle.

20180719_111511.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom