Dash protection / repair recomendations ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys! When I purchased my 93' 80 series back in September, It had a cracked dash, but it came with a spare dash that was not cracked! The spare is in fair condition. Some what faded, but in way better shape than the dash that is in my truck now. It is the correct matching color for the interior. I guess the previous owner had planned on swapping it out, but never did when he found out all the work that goes into that project. My question is, If I am going to go through all the work of removing / swapping the dash, is there something I should do to the spare before installing? Something that will protect against cracking in the near future? Paint ? Wrap? Anything else that should be serviced or inspected while the dash is off?

Pictures to come as soon as I get home.

For discoloration you can alway use a do it yourself product or have a Fibrenew franchise dye it.
Luckily for me the original owner put in a DashMat and it protected it in the hot Arizona sun for over 20 years.
I decided to leave it in place as the protection factor outweighs the cheesy factor.

Pictures of both dash’s.

EE6B293D-FA43-4714-9124-B0EA4CCD4585.jpeg

2B527877-84FA-4F01-9F49-BD63AA3FFC61.jpeg

6357BD3D-2D7A-46A3-99C3-B4D60E8ED2CC.jpeg

8A350B56-B6F8-4FB4-85CD-6B376D5A07B2.jpeg

71EE54E1-B089-4280-AC1B-5098F0E7C71E.jpeg

Does anyone know the name / color / code for this interior grey? I see some interior vinyl paints online. I’m just unsure of the exact color

For discoloration you can alway use a do it yourself product or have a Fibrenew franchise dye it.
Luckily for me the original owner put in a DashMat and it protected it in the hot Arizona sun for over 20 years.
I decided to leave it in place as the protection factor outweighs the cheesy factor.

My dash is split and I'm thinking of picking up a DashMat to cover it up (the lazy route) how is the fitment?

the graphite grey works good.

while you have the dash out you might as well change the expansion valve for the AC and clean out the evap box. it is sure to have crap in there. good time to upgrade lights and fix that D light that i am sure doesnt work. got a radio upgrade in the future, now is the time... the dash S U C K S on the 94 and older trucks so plan ahead and do it all at once.

Hey Guys! When I purchased my 93' 80 series back in September, It had a cracked dash, but it came with a spare dash that was not cracked! The spare is in fair condition. Some what faded, but in way better shape than the dash that is in my truck now. It is the correct matching color for the interior. I guess the previous owner had planned on swapping it out, but never did when he found out all the work that goes into that project. My question is, If I am going to go through all the work of removing / swapping the dash, is there something I should do to the spare before installing? Something that will protect against cracking in the near future? Paint ? Wrap? Anything else that should be serviced or inspected while the dash is off?

Pictures to come as soon as I get home.

Good reviews from Fiberenew. I believe they are Nationwide. See Greg Woo post, June 20.

Holy cow man that's beautiful.

Good reviews from Fiberenew. I believe they are Nationwide. See Greg Woo post, June 20.

They are a franchise, like any skilled trade some are amazing and some horrible. Look on yelp and see what your local franchises work looks like. I had a small tear in my door Panel so after reading reviews I tried my local franchise. They did a rush job and we’ll over spray every were, taped lines, and it looked like it did it myself. They did come back and fix it free of charge. I took off the door panel and he did a great job the second time. So I’d say take the part out of the rig you want fixed if possible.

What materials did you use to recover it? Would you share where they can be purchased. I am interested in doing the same thing. Yours looks like it turned out very nice.

What materials did you use to recover it? Would you share where they can be purchased. I am interested in doing the same thing. Yours looks like it turned out very nice.
This is the material..
This is the glue...
First I sanded the original dash cover to rough it up, fill any cracks at this time, mine only had hairline cracks so I didn't fill them. Then clean it. I used chip brushes to apply the glue. I went slow and did only small sections at a time. I used the heat gun to warm up the dash pad and material a bit to help it lay nice. For areas that need to stretch around corners I heated the material more so it would stretch. Heat it too much and it ruins the material. So practice stretching a piece of vinyl on something first to get the hang of it. Eventually I could use feel for what the right temperature is. I started in the center and worked outward. Here is the video that helped me...

Thanks, that will be very helpful. I will hive it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom