Dash Pad Cap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

These glue on over your existing dash pad. The ones I've seen don't come with the cut-out for the center dash light, so if you have a light you either have to cut a hole yourself or not use the light.

The price for this one on eBay is about average (I've seen them for as low as $59). If you're not doing a restoration these look okay. If you are doing a resto and thinking about future value, you're better off going with an OEM pad.

I have one on my '76 trail truck. It's actually pretty good. Of course, I wouldn't use it for a restoration. I got it from Azbob, so it's the same part. They were going for around $45 when I bought mine. I did cut out for the dash light, used black RTV to seal it around the light, and you really can't tell that it wasn't intended to be that way. My only complaint would be that it should be a little longer on the sides. It doesn't quite cover the OEM pad at the right and left corners (it leaves about 1/2" of OEM pad exposed). Other than that, it was a huge improvement over the old cracked pad.

These glue on over your existing dash pad. The ones I've seen don't come with the cut-out for the center dash light, so if you have a light you either have to cut a hole yourself or not use the light.

The price for this one on eBay is about average (I've seen them for as low as $59). If you're not doing a restoration these look okay. If you are doing a resto and thinking about future value, you're better off going with an OEM pad.

I've bought one and didn't use the glue at all. My dash pad is actually in pretty good shape. These will fit right over your existing dash pad, and make it look much cleaner then a ripped up dash pad. I didn't use the glue because you can simply tighten up the cover using your windshield knob screws. Unless you look really closely, you won't even notice that it's not stock. You can also buy them at cruiser corps which is a forum vendor, that is where I got mine.

FJ40 Dash Cap - Fits FJ40 1968 - 1984

I have used them quite a bit. When I install them, I use about 2-3 tubes of silicone glue and put a lot on the old pad. I then use stretch wrap from the hardware store and wrap the pad tightly. I set it aside for a couple of days, letting the glue dry, before removing the stretch wrap.

Don

I have used it, too - holds up well after 7 years

I wouldn't use it on a resto, though, you can see any slight misfit at the edges

I can't add anything new to what the others have said. It looks much better than a cracked pad and is a cheap fix.

I would say that the shrink wrap is a great idea. That was the hardest part of my install. I used about 20 spring clamps. They worked ok but the shrink wrap sounds brilliant.

Thanks everyone. Just the info I needed!
I just finished removing my current dash, and boy what a mess! The PO loved to leave it out in the rain with the windshield down and the area behind the dash is a rusty disaster, and the dash itself is all rotted out. Looks like I might have to buy a new one after all. :mad:

They are great! To avoid the issues the others have posted regarding the outer edges of the pad being exposed, I trimmed my pad down so this would not be an issue. You can not tell its a cover IMHO. I also used the wrap technique to get that cover as tight as I could.

:beer:

I did the same thing.

I like mine too. Not perfect, but good bang for your buck. Good enough for my level of restoration. JD

Looks so much better that the cracked nasty one I had. Got mine from Cruiser Corps as well.

There used to be a good thread with pictures installing one of these. I think they ground off some of the foam to make if fit over better. I can't find the thread. Anyone?

If you're going to pay for a new dash pad and you're not a purist consider a dash box. Its about the same price and gives you locking storage. Its not soft if you're worried about cushioning during impact but they install easily and are pretty cool. You'll have to do a search to find dashman who sells them over the phone (no internet). Takes less than 30 min to drill the spot welds that hold the old metal pad support and 10 minutes to install.

After market Dash Pad fj40

I have been kicking around the idea for the last two years to build an aftermarket dash pad to sell for the fj40's. 3 weeks ago I decided to go ahead with the project. I am about two weeks away from having it complete (tooling inserts etc). I have no idea if there is a market for them just assumed there would be an interest as we manufacture similiar products for oem construction equipment. I am going to build out of integral skin polyurethane. Pretty tough but will be flexible and match the old dash.

I got the idea when I was tearing into my 78 fj40 and some knuckle head along the ownership glued outdoor carpet to the dash. It looked pretty ghetto!

Do you think there will be any interest? Let me know your thoughts.

On my FJ55, I used no glue and it looked great. I had one warp badly on my '78, and Coverlay replaced it. The 2nd one I used a ton of caulk on (also) and it's fine except for one spot. I recommend lots of caulk and clamp it securely and let it dry for several days.

interest

I have been kicking around the idea for the last two years to build an aftermarket dash pad to sell for the fj40's. 3 weeks ago I decided to go ahead with the project. I am about two weeks away from having it complete (tooling inserts etc). I have no idea if there is a market for them just assumed there would be an interest as we manufacture similiar products for oem construction equipment. I am going to build out of integral skin polyurethane. Pretty tough but will be flexible and match the old dash.

I got the idea when I was tearing into my 78 fj40 and some knuckle head along the ownership glued outdoor carpet to the dash. It looked pretty ghetto!

Do you think there will be any interest? Let me know your thoughts.

Call me interested!

Where in Kansas are you?

I actually just sold a dash pad recently (OEM of course) and I was very surprised you could still get it. There will definitely be a market for the A/M if the OE goes away. Depending on the price, there may be a market now for the people that don't want to spend the $$.

Just FYI - I took one to a interior restoration guy. $150 he wrapped and glued marine grade vinyl. Looks great. No gaps and very smooth.

Call me interested!

Where in Kansas are you?
2fpower,

I am located in Coffeyville, Right on the Kansas Oklahoma border 75 miles north of Tulsa, OK.

I get up to KC a couple of times a year. Do you guy's have a club up there? Down here it's just about four of us who have fj40's.

I started another thread called aftermarket dash pad and kind of explain my intentions there. Not really trying to soft sell but was wanting to check out the market and feedback. I posted some pictures of the first prototype. I am getting ready to run the third prototype today. I have been working on the texture of the tooling.

If I can manufacture this pad for sale less than Dealer's Cost (At least what my Good old Parts buddy told me his cost was) I really believe there has to be a good market out there but I don't know how big that market is. 1,000.....10,000....100,000? I think I saw on this site the numbers of fj40's that were imported from '72-'82. If memory serves me correct I believe it was approx. 8,000 per year average.

I went ahead and registered our company with the ih8mud website this morning and checking into the vendor requirements. Waiting on a reply (I'm sure it takes a day or two).

When I get ready to sell I will market them on line and here as a vendor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom