Dash lights, Heater controls, rear defrost button are dead??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Basically I Have no power to anything on my dash. I can live with out dash lights but considering its 15 degrees outside some heat and defrost would be nice! I also noticed that when trying to put it in gear I need to press the shift lock button to get it out of park. I checked the fuses and everything looks to be in order. Any ideas? Thanks 91 fj 80

Thanks all that looks good but still nothing. (I don't see any fuses off the battery) The radio still has power as well as the rear heat controls.

The three smaller wires coming off your battery positive connection are fusible links. The wire fuses if it is overloaded.

I think your 10A Gauge fuse may be blown. It's ahead of your left knee. Replace it with a known good fuse, or probe both ends of it when it should be on. Sometimes a fuse looks good but isn't.

Check fuses with a meter, not your eyeballs.
This sounds like the tail lamp fuse is gone. If the fusible link that feeds this circuit was open, then your headlights wouldn't work. I assume they are working.

Okay the fusible links are fine and the headlights are working. The fuses under the dash have all checked out. I don't have access to a meter at the moment so I'm stuck with plug and play. I did replace the tail lamp fuse and also noticed the tail lamps and break lamps are not working either. The turn signals and reverse lights are working fine.

What is the link between all theses things? How are they connected? I am kind of new to this stuff and trying to figure it out as I go. Thanks for the help!

From what I can see on my 1996 Wiring Diagram, it looks like they tap the power for all that stuff at the alternator battery connection. There are also other connections in between that could be bad.

You need one of those test lights with a ground lead and a sharp point that has a 12V light bulb inside it. That or a meter, but the light is so much easier to use. You can tell if the fuse is even getting power, which it may not be.

I would start by looking at the wiring at the alternator and also under the fuse block on the fender.

I would start by looking at the wiring at the alternator and also under the fuse block on the fender.
Alternator is not in play here.
The main fusible link (FL 2.0) powers the devices that are not working and they are all individually fused off of this link. This points again to the fusible link, but you're telling me the headlights work. It sounds like there has been a change in the wiring at some point.
Replace the fusible links. They come from Toyota as a set of 3 for a couple of bucks.

my dash illumination (gauges, climate, buttons, shifter) has gone out too. I haven't had a lot of time to do trouble shooting, but I know my fusible links are good, fuses are good, ALL other lights work, power is getting to the dimmer switch. Only change is pulling the O2 sensor which had a cut wire anyway.

thoughts before I have to go disassemble more things and trace wiring?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom