Dash LED's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sandcruiser

....back in the saddle again....
Threads
Anyone installed LED dashlights in a 60?
I'm thinking of doing it, but wanted to know if it is worth the bother and small expense?

Due to a lot of vibration on roads here, bulbs tend to die quickly. I've got three dead bulbs in the dash now and figure that if I'm going to replace them I might as well upgrade.

And, while I'm asking-

What about colored LEDs? For things like the 4wd light (green) or the water in fuel light (yellow) should I just install a colored LED instead of white? Since most of the light would be filtered from the white anyway, seems that the colored would be brighter in final appearance.

While the reduction in total draw will be nice, I'm mostly looking for bright lights that can't be shaken to death.

I'm very interested in the results of your research, I got a handful of blown bulbs on the dash myself, and something brighter than the "barely there" stock dash lights would be great.

Keep us posted, and try the 80 series forum, they've got a lot of experience with LED's, including a resident vendor.

I have 1988 FJ62 and don't have experience with death of bulb at dash still now.
All dash bulbs have same age with my FJ62.
I live in south korea and I drive off-roads very often but didn't have experience like yours.
(To go to my home, I must go through some off-road)
But I have similiar experience that two bulbs at licence plate lamp dies so often.
I couldn't figure out yet.
I suppose there might another reason except road condition in your area.

You're not going to notice a gain from reduced load on your electrical system. Green LEDs might be nice to replace the instrument bulbs that had the little green Trojans on them. Warning lights should have the same color LED as lens: yellow for choke, etc.

These guys seem to offer quite a bit, but I have no experience with them:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/site_index.htm

i have purchased LEDs from super bright LEDs. i was very pleased with them. when buying LEDs look for a higher MCD number. the higher the number the brighter the LED. for this application i would recommend 7000 or higher. remember: LEDs will fry if hooked up to too much power! typical 5mm LEDs will accept around 3v. your truck battery is 12. to hook up a single LED you will need a resistor to reduce the voltage. OR, you can wire four LEDs (4led's X 3 volts each = 12 volts) in series and not fry them. check with the manufacturer for the specs on what max voltage is for the particular LED as sometimes colored LEDs require differing amounts of voltage.

P.S. FLEA Bay has enough LEDs to light up an airport. do a search for LEDs. you'll come up with 10 pages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom