Dash / Instrument Cluster Screw Part # + Oil Pressure Gauge Died (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

I took the gauge cluster out to move one of the working bulbs up to "P" so I'd get rid of the dash lights since it burned out.

2 red, metal "clips" fell out during removal of the instrument cluster, fell down below the dash panel under the steering wheel, and ended up on the floor mat...

...and now I'm getting no oil pressure gauge action.

I am assuming these are related. That or really weird coincidence where my wiring fix failed recently and I or my wife didn't notice the oil pressure gauge stopped working.

All other gauges appear to be working but as soon as I noticed oil pressure not working, I shut the truck down.

Troubleshooting steps?

I plan to order all new bulbs (and screws, lost one of the dash screws) to replace them all and reinstall correctly, but while I've got it out would love any tips on how to make sure everything re-connects correctly. Thanks to anyone who can help.

I'm wondering if it is possible the stepper motor (2004 Land Cruiser Gauge Cluster FIXED! How-To - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2004-land-cruiser-gauge-cluster-fixed-how-to.1085511/) happened to die due to bumping the cluster on the wheel during removal?

1. Can I run the engine with oil pressure showing zero until fixed
2. Does anyone have the part number for the four dash screws that hold the instrument cluster in place?
3. How do I go about troubleshooting the oil pressure gauge -- I am naive in hoping that, uninstall instrument cluster, pop in new bulbs, make sure everything reconnects during install will fix the issue?
4. What are the red clips and are they important (will update post with photo)

Thanks, already have the bulbs in my cart ready to order but want to grab the screws + anything else I need to get this sorted.

Here are the clips:
IMG_2532 (1).JPG

Last edited:
I think the red clips are for the big, lower panel. There are plastic tabs on the panel where these clips fit, which then are pushed in to square holes in the dash.
Iirc there are only one or two screws (at the bottom corner(s)), and a number of these clips, holding the lower panel.

For the gauge, you could always start by checking the sender. I trust you have the FSM -- otherwise you'll have to download it from somewhere.

Are these the screws:
1677529743766.png

Last edited:
I think the red clips are for the big, lower panel. There are plastic tabs on the panel where these clips fit, which then are pushed in to square holes in the dash.
Iirc there are only one or two screws (at the bottom corner(s)), and a number of these clips, holding the lower panel.

For the gauge, you could always start by checking the sender. I trust you have the FSM -- otherwise you'll have to download it from somewhere.

Are these the screws:
View attachment 3259951
That red box highlighted looks like the location of one of them, going from memory. There are two upper and two lower. The photo on Partsouq looks correct (but not available) so will give a try and order from somewhere else.

Update for anyone that searches this:

I ordered six new bulbs for the P/R/N/D/2/L lows, pulled the cluster out, replaced the bulbs, and realized when I reinstalled the cluster that all of a sudden I was getting the "door open" light on -- which I hadn't been earlier.

Bottom line, I had not pushed hard enough to "seat" the bottom left and right of the cluster into the white plastic connectors where all the wires come in.

No need to buy an oil pressure gauge, no need to replace the oil pressure sending unit. Gauge back to normal functionality, with the added benefit of being able to see if I am in park, drive, etc. :)

Bulbs were something like $2-3/each depending on where you get them, and it is four screws to disconnect cluster from dash, and two screws to disconnect cluster from where the wires come into the back. Ridiculously easy. Took me an hour and most of that was trying to get one of the hard to reach screws back in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom