Dash insert/replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woody

Staff member
Admin
Threads
I've searched (yeah, I'm a noobie) but can't seem to locate the supplier who makes those inserts to replace your existing dash cluster with aftermarket gauges....need to see one and price out, either to buy or make myself...

anyone with a link handy??

tks!

I am slowly working on mine still. A few things to consider: They will virtually rape you on the speedo cable, $100 with shipping IIRC. That is how much I paid for my speedo. BTB sells it but I just made my own. Problem is I am a machinist, I bet I could show you how to make one a bit less sophisticated. The J30" transfer case uses a stock cable that is terminated with a .100" square end. That is what you need for an autometer speedo. So all you need is a way to hold it in the speedo. The autometer speedo really needs a snug fit hole in the dash because the bracketry it comes with is bad, or at least the model that I got. I used one of those cheap (the smallest guage set I could find) tripple guage sets that is at the auto store. Mechanical guages are not the best way to go IMO. For one, the temp guage with the supplied adaptor bottomed out in the head of my F. The oil guage came supplied with a nylon line and compression fittings. The nylon crimped on its way through the fire wall. Summit sells, IIRC, a $40 stainless steel line for use in this situation. I may try using more available break lines instead of this special part.

Pablo

Actually, my plan is to run a in-dash Tach, water temp, oil pressure, voltmeter, and hour gauge. Haven't had a working speedo for years and frankly, for offroad use, it's worthless.

And Wardens was the link....but $75!! ouch....gotta think on that one....

I've been contemplating a swap to aftermarket gauges. In searching around, I found that JT Outfitters carries/sells 1/4" dash panels, but you may want to hold onto your checkbook...'cause they are a tad pricey.

http://jtoutfitters.zoovy.com/category/interior.gauge_panels/

If nothing else, it may give you some ideas...

can't you use the door off of the glove box to make a new insert for your gauges? ??? and use a drill press and a hole saw to cut out the gauge cluster holes?????? or am i missing something here? Do you want a fancy dancy aluminum one? :D

Stew

My thought was to take the dash panel in to a metal shop & get them to cut out a new one. From there I could play with guage selection & arrangement...visit the metal shop again to get the holes cut, and then go visit one of the local shops to get the metal powder-coated.

I just don't think the billet aluminum look would go well surrounded by my forest green interior.

im doing this same thing right now. i got a niece piece of aluminum about 1/4" at a steel yard for $11 i made a template using the size specs of the gauges and the general layout off of Jack Rice's page in the tech. links. the prob i found so far is the cluster has to be a considerable bit longer than the original which means i will have to remove the bottom dash pads. i haven't bought the gauges yet. im going to cut the aluminum up at work, if anyone wants i can scan and email the template i made to you on paper it fits into the recessed area that the instrument cluster is now perfectly we'll see if theory works out when it starts getting done

If the outside profile of the part without other features trips you up then I would probably recomend not doing the cluster project. I got a cereal box and placed it in the dash and cut with sissors until I was happy, that became the template. A good stationary belt sander will remove the jig saw/ band saw marks. Oh, yeah, I folded the template in half to get symmetry. Nothing fancy, just time consuming. I would recomend not using anything bigger than 1/8" aluminum because most of those guages are meant for sheet metal (like 1/16" or less) and will not mount on anything thicker. I bead blasted mine and clear coated it without paint (dull aluminum look, gets the scratches out). A friend made a dash for his military issue Willys and finished it with a random orbit sander, it was made of stainless. I was concerned of being blinded with the sun and the guy's brights behind me. One thing to watch out for is hinge placement on the glove box. I wound up having the hinge on the same plane as the dash pannel insted of that little lip at the bottom of the glove box. A few nights with beer and the game Operation will warm you up for the installation because I imagine that most of us have sausage fingers (unlike when we were five).
Pablo

I got mine at man-a-fre. I think it was $40. It holds (2) 3 3/8 gauges and (3) 2 1/8 gauges and is 3/16 thick. It works okay for now. I may make a different layout when I get time.

hey Gumby:
Why dont you buy your cluster from Toyota Brazilian dealer? my cluster was a mess so i got no alternative than buygo to my local toyota dealer and ask for the part .They toll me they got it in brazil and gave me the total cost and average time of arrival:3 weeks and less than $120 U.S. dollars (cluster and speedo cable!!!)...Even i dont have to pay it right away.!!!I toll you man: in this country Toyota have the best customer service i had ever seen.The parts is from Brazilian TOYOTA "BANDEIRANTE" (BJ-43 i think).Its all plastic but look prety close to the 1978 cluster.
I can send you a picture if you want.

Regards.Jose.

maybe this is what you are looking for. 68-84 Land Cruiser FJ40 Billet Glove Box Door & Dash:eBay Motors (item 380125722493 end time Jun-19-09 12:05:17 PDT)
fj40 62.jpg

I think he found one.........................................after 7 years;)

hey Gumby:
Why dont you buy your cluster from Toyota Brazilian dealer? my cluster was a mess so i got no alternative than buygo to my local toyota dealer and ask for the part .They toll me they got it in brazil and gave me the total cost and average time of arrival:3 weeks and less than $120 U.S. dollars (cluster and speedo cable!!!)...Even i dont have to pay it right away.!!!I toll you man: in this country Toyota have the best customer service i had ever seen.The parts is from Brazilian TOYOTA "BANDEIRANTE" (BJ-43 i think).Its all plastic but look prety close to the 1978 cluster.
I can send you a picture if you want.

Regards.Jose.

I'd like to see a picture of this plastic cluster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom