Dash Gauge Panel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I needed a mount for some gauges I bought and am going to buy, so I made a panel mount that goes on the dash. I was inspired by a picture or was in a link that Mot sent me a couple of years ago that showed a dash gauge mount for RHD vehicles that went up against the combination meter hump. The design I came up with is for 5 gauges and is about 3 ½ inches high. In the pics it looks higher, but the gauges are 2 1/16 inch so can be judged from that. First, I worked out a pattern and traced it on a piece on tin. (1st pic). That tin proved to be too thin, so I cut it out some scrap stuff that was a little thicker. (2nd pic). I cut and welded in some pieces of 2 ¼ inch exhaust pipe, slanted and tilted toward the driver. (3rd pic). I bent up some tin for the back, welded on a piano hinge and some 3/16 inch rod stock to give the front a little class, and went to work with the bondo. (4th pic). The hinge is for a piece of black plastic that can be flipped down to cover the gauges. (5th pic). The 3 gauges I have now for this panel is a 2 stage intake temp gauge for before and after the intercooler temps, an oil pressure gauge, and a trans temp gauge. For several years I have had three other gauges on the DS A pillar. One other gauge for the panel that I will get is a fuel level gauge for a Methanol/water tank. The fifth gauge is undecided. I tried to match the color of the dash with an Acrylic Urethane interior paint for the body of the gauge panel, and used a gloss black for the front. I am going to change this to a flat black to reduce gauge reflections. The gauge panel will be mounted with double back tape. It is not mounted or gauges wired now. Wires hopefully will be run around the back of the dash. Last pic shows plastic flipped up and the angle of the gauges from the driver’s seat. I may add some toggle switches and indicator lights to the panel as I don’t like to waste space.

Bill
Gauge-Panel-Pattern.jpg
Gauge-Panel-Cut-Out-Front.jpg
Gauge-Panel-with-Exhaust-Ga.jpg

Other pics.
Gauge-Panel-Rear-Tin-Hinge-.jpg
Gauge-Panel-Flap-Down.jpg
Gauge-Panel-Flap-Up.jpg

Pics of gauges mounted on the RHD LC dash :) I been thinking samething but im gonna mount it same as on my '97 Supra right on the passenger side dash except not inside the glove box.Yep samething all the gauges will facin' toward to the driver side.Im wondering whether the air bag light will stay on when i remove the passenger air bag out.

Nice and clean. But looks kinda big. Does it partially block your view? (looking at the pic- distance between the bottom of the rear view mirror to the gauge pod) Anyway - its nice though, what other gauges are you gonna install? (2 extra holes)

this is not mine but I love the idea and probably will copy it with a couple on the I piller.
47b5d739b3127cce9449c0a8f0fb00000016108BZsmrlm4bq

Gald you like em'!

clarkrw3 said:
this is not mine but I love the idea and probably will copy it with a couple on the I piller.
47b5d739b3127cce9449c0a8f0fb00000016108BZsmrlm4bq

Yep that's my truck. I'll tell ya..this was the easiest install. Just take off the console and drill the 2" 1/4 with a hole saw. At night there is a very cool "cockpit" effect.
airlaird

Nice and clean. But looks kinda big. Does it partially block your view? (looking at the pic- distance between the bottom of the rear view mirror to the gauge pod) Anyway - its nice though, what other gauges are you gonna install? (2 extra holes)

The mirror is an auto dimming etc. Donnelly. It glues to the windshield so is lower than the stock mirror and throws off the picture perspective. The gauge panel is approx. 3 ½ inches high. One of the other two gauges will probably be a fuel level gauge for a Methanol/water tank I will build. The other I don’t know yet.

Why did you want to have the option of covering the gauges?

I don’t like light in my eyes at night. I have three gauges on the A pillar and the top one is around my eye height. I found a camera lens cap that fits it and use that to cover it at night. Also, if I cover them maybe they won’t get stolen. :D

I always have too much junk piled on the console to use it for gauges.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom