Dash controls for 1978 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings from Idaho. I just became the owner of a beautiful 1978 FJ40. There are a few things missing that I would like to put back on the FJ. It's missing the Fan Pull, Fresh Pull, and Warm Pull. Any ideas where I can find components? Thanks, cws57

Congratulations on the new FJ40!
Pictures are always welcome.
Put a post up in the classified or check with some of the fine vendors here on 'mud

i have all that stuff as well off of a 78 FJ40

PM me

Adam

Greetings from Idaho. I just became the owner of a beautiful 1978 FJ40. There are a few things missing that I would like to put back on the FJ. It's missing the Fan Pull, Fresh Pull, and Warm Pull. Any ideas where I can find components? Thanks, cws57

Please Send me a PM to discuss further

here is some of what i have to meet your needed parts solutions

1594995907897.png

1594996011081.png

1594996161678.jpeg

Thanks I am really looking for the control to the fresh air vent , cowl rod. Craig

Are you saying you have a working vent in the center of the cowl between the hood and windshield. If so you most like a FJ40 another market. The outside air vent control works off a cable. There is a lever on the side of the heater that switches between vent/floor heat/defrost. Picture of what you have or better explanation would help.

The fresh air vent is located between the hood and windshield. I can open and close it manually from under the dash but I saw a parts breakdown that called it a "cowl rod" that had a knob through the dash to the right of the heater controls.

The fresh air vent is located between the hood and windshield. I can open and close it manually from under the dash but I saw a parts breakdown that called it a "cowl rod" that had a knob through the dash to the right of the heater controls.

Post some pictures of your dash. 73 was the last model year that had a operating vent in the cowl on models that had a factory installed front heater. Next few years had the vent but the it was welded closed. 78 did not vent in center of the cowl. If the tub is really from 78 most likely from another market and the heater was added later.

Last edited:
Here you go. It's not an aftermarket add on. As I said I can manually open and close the vent from under the dash.

20200807_111349.jpg

20200807_111924.jpg

Here you go. It's not an aftermarket add on. As I said I can manually open and close the vent from under the dash.

View attachment 2396397

View attachment 2396398

That is your cowl not the dash. But that picture with an operating vent and wipers on the bottom of the windshield would not be a US model FJ40. 78 has the VIN plaque on the firewall. Model number should end with an A in the US.

Your model is two digits short for the US.

I have sliding rear windows that has the safety glass stenciled in Spanish. I expected this FJ might have spent time in South America. The speedometer is in KMs.

I have sliding rear windows that has the safety glass stenciled in Spanish. I expected this FJ might have spent time in South America. The speedometer is in KMs.

I'm sure your heater was added and your cruiser was originally imported to South or Central America.

The heater was removed and an aftermarket AC was installed.
I recently bought the entire heater with all controls. I just need to pull the AC. Here in Idaho I don't need AC.

The heater was removed and an aftermarket AC was installed.
I recently bought the entire heater with all controls. I just need to pull the AC. Here in Idaho I don't need AC.

With an operating cowl vent it's wouldn't of had a heater originally. 74+ if it has an operating vent it didn't have a heater. South and Central America in general did not have a heater. While North America had a heater from 1966 on. May have been a few exceptions south of the border but never seen any. Toyota stopped importing to Mexico in the mid sixties. 40 series had ended a long before Toyota started importing to Mexico again. So yours wouldn't have been from Mexico.

Wow thanks for the info. Do you think I can install the heater and still have a working fresh air vent?

Wow thanks for the info. Do you think I can install the heater and still have a working fresh air vent?

Probably possible, challenge might be getting a rod to operate it. The 74+ had a vent option on the top which is why they discontinued the cowl vent. Took them a couple of years to completely remove it from models with a heater. For those few years it was just welded shut and drain thru the transmission hump from 75 on if the vent was there operating or not had two drain thru the transmission cover. 78 if had a heater there was no vent operating or not. 3/69+ US models an A pillar VIN plaque with a production month year. By Specter Off Road date chart was was made July 1978.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom