Dash BUTTONS...what do they do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I attach a photo of a 1971 FJ40 dashboard. Close up of the buttons I picked up online.

Just wondering what the THROTTLE button does and also
why are there two (2) Heater buttons. Figured one of them is for the air heater. Is the other one for the engine for cold starts??? Which is which?

Thanks in advance for your time.
71dash1.JPG

I'm not familiar w/the throttle knob. 1 heater switch is for the frt heater & the other 1 is for the rear.

Throttle knob is kinda like "Cruise Control":grinpimp:

Children: dont try this at home

there used to be a front and a rear heater - hence two heater pulls - each pull has two positions, BTW

the V pull is for ventilation - the inlet is in the passenger footwell

window washer is self-explanatory

as is the interior dome light switch

choke pull - self-explanatory

some trucks had a hand throttle pull in the position where you seem to have a blank - that button doesn't "do" anything other than covering a hole in your dash

hazard lights - self-explanaroty - same for the cigarette lighter

there is also a fresh air pull under the dash

looks like someone cut a bog hole in your dash :frown:

I've had the "T" or throttle controls on several other vehicles- mostly trucks from the 40's and 50's- On those it is used for a few things... Good for opening the throttle a little to help warm up and leave unattended on a cold morning. Also a rudimentary (and dangerous!) cruise control. Also was handy in a hay field- you could simply pull the knob and set the truck on course so you could load it alone while it puttered along at your walking speed... Maybe also dangerous??

there used to be a front and a rear heater - hence two heater pulls - each pull has two positions, BTW

looks like someone cut a bog hole in your dash :frown:

HI Claudia, isn't my dash btw. Picked it up online. Mine is undergoing restoration and looks much worse!! Missing so many buttons and want to get a complete set. Bought some off Specter but still missing the choke, throttle and heater ones. I might replace the heater buttons with 12V chargers as I don't need a heater here.

Choke is to help cold starts but wasn't there a button to kill the engine instead of just removing the keys? I might have been daydreaming.

I've had the "T" or throttle controls on several other vehicles- mostly trucks from the 40's and 50's- On those it is used for a few things... Good for opening the throttle a little to help warm up and leave unattended on a cold morning. Also a rudimentary (and dangerous!) cruise control. Also was handy in a hay field- you could simply pull the knob and set the truck on course so you could load it alone while it puttered along at your walking speed... Maybe also dangerous??

Like a 1971 version of K.I.T. heheh. pretty nice add on but unfortunately will never have use for it. What to put there instead? Maybe a switch for my flood or spot lights. : )

Oh yeah- I bet that throttle button would be extremely nice if you had a PTO winch:)
As far as the spot- I put the mount for a Streamlight on some empty space. Holds on pretty nicely;)
image-1895577871.jpg

Choke is to help cold starts but wasn't there a button to kill the engine instead of just removing the keys?

not aware of that

What to put there instead? Maybe a switch for my flood or spot lights. : )

you can put anything you want - I have a switch for an auxiliary fan, for example, and another for my stereo - both run directly off the battery and the switches are lighted so I don't forget to switch them off

I used pull switches to match the OEM look - sorry, no picture handy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom