Darn Squirrels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gun Runner 5

ODD IRON OFF ROAD
SILVER Star
Threads
image.jpg
For the first time in 25+ years! I'm having an issue with squirrels chewing on my cedar siding. Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

image.jpg

I don't have any cedar siding to chew on, but they've done damage elsewhere before. I like having them around, but when they start tearing up stuff, squirrel stew time. If you don't want to shoot them, try feeding them away from the house and of course keep cat/dog food put away to keep them off the porch.

I don't have any cedar siding to chew on, but they've done damage elsewhere before. I like having them around, but when they start tearing up stuff, squirrel stew time. If you don't want to shoot them, try feeding them away from the house and of course keep cat/dog food put away to keep them off the porch.
I have no issues shooting them. I subscribe to the "live and let live" way of life until they start chewing on my house.

My motto is "Don't want them to overpopulate." And it applies to deer, cattle, squirrels, beers, etc.

My motto is "Don't want them to overpopulate." And it applies to deer, cattle, squirrels, beers, etc.
Our yard is heavily wooded so we have always had a fairly large squirrel population but this is the first time that they have used the house as a daily snack. They only chew on the one corner in the photo.

View attachment 1025495 For the first time in 25+ years! I'm having an issue with squirrels chewing on my cedar siding. Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

I have had the little bastids do the same thing to my house, last year. I have tried the hot sauce method and the traps nothing has worked for me.
By the time the bb gun is pointed at them they are long gone.

I'm not sure the neighbors would approve sir!

Pretty impressive animals, really. As the video notes, he used his tail to stabilize his "flight" and might have done OK on landing.

I hate them! They can not say no to Costco almonds, which in turn causes them to keep climbing into a trap.

I had 1 get to into my attic and chew a hole in the ceiling, from then on it's been all out war. Me and Mr. Stevens 22-410 have been winning ALOT. for those of you that can't use a .22 in the city, the Aquila primer rounds are nice and quiet(my pellet gun makes more noise) and I have ended many a tree a rat with them

This year we are being overrun with a population explosion of Cotton Rats (Sigmodon spp). Think I have it narrowed down to the Az Cotton rat. That being said, one can't walk outside without seeing one or two or if a piece of plywood is picked up, half a dozen scurrying about.
Gestation period must be something like 24 hours after conception, lol.
Young ears can locate where the little ones are hidden..
Cotton rat larvae.jpg

22 shorts work best for me

I too wage constant war on the tree rats. Air rifle in the house, air rifle in my shop/office, .410 shotgun and .22 always handy somewhere. We have hawks, owls, and rat snakes galore but they can't keep up with the squirrel population.

For real (ground) rats, nothing beats a Jack Russell Terrier. It is cool to watch them work, and it is totally instinctive, you don't have to train them at all.

Yeah those rats get bad population wise. They tend to stay in area about an acre their whole lives. Gestation is 3-4 weeks and they are sexually mature in about 6 weeks. With litter size being 10-15 for a healthy ecosystem, that's a lot of breeders every 3 months. A single pair of rats can easily equal 1000 rats a year

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom