Dark Transfer case oil: why? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
finally got to changing the TC oil which was still from the PO.
Level was fine, and oil felt fine, but it was pretty dark. I don't know what they used but I imagine most gear oils are light-colored and clear. This one was darkish and somewhat murky looking. So, I'm wondering if there is anything odd in the TC that would contribute to dark coloring. IIRC, the viscous coupling is sealed so that wouldn't be it. Source of grease anywhere? Anything odd in there? Or is it just age, high temp, and metal wear that would do this?

high temp from VC and less than 2 quarts of fluid. oxidation.

by my IR readings (I know how you feel about those) the T-cases actually runs much warmer than the transmission.

T-case is one place everyone should run sysnthetic as that is probably the hardest working 2 quarts of fluid in the vehicle.

RavenTai said:
high temp from VC and less than 2 quarts of fluid. oxidation.

by my IR readings (I know how you feel about those) the T-cases actually runs much warmer than the transmission.

T-case is one place everyone should run sysnthetic as that is probably the hardest working 2 quarts of fluid in the vehicle.

that's a good point, there is not much fluid in there...

and, yes, as discussed elsewhere, I was surprised at how cold the trans is running in my truck

yes, I have a pet peeve about people making too much out of IR thermometers, but they can still be useful for comparisons and relative measurements, preferably of the same object.

e9999 said:
but they can still be useful for comparisons and relative measurements, preferably of the same object.

agreed,

now have a question, how is it that you, one of our more particular members, are just now getting to baselining the fluid in the T-case after more than 2 years of ownership?

RavenTai said:
agreed,

now have a question, how is it that you, one of our more particular members, are just now getting to baselining the fluid in the T-case after more than 2 years of ownership?

dammit... I knew this was gonna come...

well, I had checked the level, and color looked OK at the time, and I've only put in a few thousand miles on it in 2 years, so I figured it was not urgent, didn't have the oil handy, and then other things crept up... Interestingly, the oil in the rear diff, which is also PO'd, is a beautiful golden clear so that one may stay in there a bit longer... And I don't have woodies for synth, unlike many people here...

Anyway, enough excuses, I never claimed I have my priorities straight... (no comment, please!) :)

RavenTai said:
agreed,

2 years??? :eek: Wonder how long it was in there before you bought it. Porbably another 3 years or more.

You wondered why it was dark?

Romer said:
2 years??? :eek: Wonder how long it was in there before you bought it. Porbably another 3 years or more.

You wondered why it was dark?

as I stated, I wondered if there is anything else in the TC assembly that would contribute to the color change besides aging...

e9999 said:
I've only put in a few thousand miles on it in 2 years, so I figured it was not urgent,

Anyway, enough excuses, I never claimed I have my priorities straight... (no comment, please!) :)

LOL

Ok only a few K miles excuse accepted :flipoff2:

I figured you had put on 50K miles on in the last 2 years like I have.

So Eric, what DID you pour into your TC?

Mobil 1 75W-90?

(Don't let these other guys abuse ya, man. They're just jealous of you!)

:grinpimp:

e9999 said:
finally got to changing the TC oil which was still from the PO.

I think that answers the question. :cheers:

Truckasaurus said:
So Eric, what DID you pour into your TC?

Mobil 1 75W-90?

(Don't let these other guys abuse ya, man. They're just jealous of you!)

:grinpimp:

nope, I don't use Synths. Just dino. I figure that since I only drive it on the trails and it doesn't accumulate that many miles, it's best changing oils more often to keep things clean and free of water etc, and avoid aging issues. Having said, that, though, RT's comment about the TC being the spot most deserving of a synth is making me consider doing that one at least...

e9999 said:
nope, I don't use Synths. Just dino. I figure that since I only drive it on the trails...

Please.................................

OK, I am confused. Do you wheel your rig or not?

Last week:

e9999 said:
NorCalDoug said:
You wheel your rig?

:D

no, why? I don't need to anymore, I can live vicariously through Mud...! Except I'm missing the back seat action, of course... :D

Today:
e9999 said:
I figure that since I only drive it on the trails and it doesn't accumulate that many miles...

e9999 said:
I figure that since I only drive it on the trails...blah, blah, blah... .

Funny

e9999 = webwheeler on steroids = :princess: , surely you know that by now!

No doubt we are in for a painful round of useless questions though :rolleyes:

Back to the topic-There is no reason to analyze this problem further. The oil is dark, and thus likely oxidixed or possibly contaminated. Change it. My guess: it's the OEM fluid from the factory. I agree with the thought that this is the ideal location for synthetic gear oil, driveway queen or trail king.

come on now, was that called for?

your post needs at least a couple of these :flipoff2:

RavenTai said:
come on now, was that called for?

your post needs at least a couple of these :flipoff2:

You are absolutely right, but eric tends to bring out the worst in me. Here they are:

:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

and one for eric:

:flipoff2: you :princess:

wow, some folks can figure out the age of oil through the web! Telepathy no doubt, or would that be based on solid technical evidence... ? Damn, I wish I could do that...
:rolleyes:

5,440 posts and he just changed the t-case oil. Erick get off the net and out on the trail or to the mall with your mall cruiser

:rolleyes:

this oil was a bit over 2 years old and about 10K miles....

Eric, every one knows you base line your truck when you first get it so you know what you have in it. Then go from there. It is only the penny pinchers that what and wonder.
I do agree that with Raven about the hardest working oil in the truck. later robbie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom