Darasick's Build/Rebuild Thread... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Darasick

The Polish Coonass
SILVER Star
Threads
Darasick's 80 Build/Rebuild Thread...

After 9 weeks of being an official Land Cruiser owner, I’m ready to start my build thread. My 80 came with the beloved 3 ring 3” binder, which was full of service and upgrade records (stimulates buyer confidence). The day I bought my 80 I drove it from Austin, TX with no problems. The very next day I had a red light on the dash, telling me the alternator had seen its last day:eek:. I fixed it and drove it for about a week and then moved up here. After 8 weeks I finally brought my 80 up here to Bossier after replacing the deeply discharged blue top with a yellow top. When I went pick it up, my girl friend said “Why is there white smoke coming out of it?” Well I know that it burns a little oil, so I chalked it up as a little burn on initial start. I started thinking yesterday, “The smoke didn’t linger or smell like burnt oil… OH ****!” I ran out of the office, cranked her up, and sure enough, that wasn’t smoke at all… that was sweet smelling, quickly dissipating, sticky to the touch steam:crybaby:. So basically I drove 200 miles with a head gasket well on its way out:mad::bang:.
I had looked for an 80 for quite a while and when I found this one, I “thought” it had pretty much everything I was looking for. After looking into it, there is quite a bit I want to change. I wish my build thread would start out all “peaches and cream”, but unfortunately I will be attempting my first head gasket, here in a couple of weeks with some PM while I’m in there. I sure wish I were still south of I-10 so I could get a hand, but it will be a learning experience. The only mods that I have done so far is change out the front lenses to clear, and change the plastic gears in my front seats to get them working again. Here is the rundown of the current and future Mods…

PO’s Mods
-Custom Front Bumper with Warn M12000 and Hellas (Hellas SOLD)
-Slee Gen II Step Sliders (SOLD)
-OME J's up front and Heavies in the rear (SOLD)
-295/75 BFGs on 16x8 Procomp 1023 Rims (SOLD)
-Some interior lights switched out to LEDs
-Aftermarket Stereo
-Drilled and Slotted rear rotors

My Future Mods UPDATED 9/3/14
-Build new High Clearance Front bumper
-New Y Pipe and route Exhaust over frame
-Paint of some sorts
-Dual Battery
-New Seat Leather
-New Leather steering wheel
-COMPLETED - SLEE Transfer Case Skid Plate
-COMPLETED - Metal Tech Rear Lower Control Arms
-COMPLETED - .120 Walled Rear Drive Shaft
-COMPLETED - Bud Built HD Drag Link and Tie Rods
-COMPLETED - Lokka Part Time Spool Installed w/ Aisin Hubs and RCV 300M Hub Gears
-COMPLETED - Marlin Crawler 25% reduction TC gears
-COMPLETED - Exact seat covers
-COMPLETED - Radflo 2.5" Remote Reservoir Shocks
-COMPLETED - Longfield 30/30 chomoly front axles
-COMPLETED - Safari Snorkel
-COMPLETED - Metal Tech Sliders
-COMPLETED - 4.88 Nitro Gears Front and Rear
-COMPLETED - ARB Air Lockers Front and Rear with Factory switch and dash light integration
-COMPLETED - Puma 12v Air compressor mounted in Rear Quarter Panel
-COMPLETED - Air Tank Mounted in Metal Tech Slider Accessory Tray
-COMPLETED - Slee 4" Front Springs, LandTank Caster Correction Plates
-COMPLETED - OME Heavies in the rear
-COMPLETED - 37x12.50 BFG KM2s on 17" Tundra/Sequoia Rims (added 1.5" spacers, trimming still needed)
-COMPLETED - 4x4 labs rear bumper with dual swingouts, one for the spare and one for the Yeti
-COMPLETED - Installed HIR headlight bulbs (9011, 9012)
-COMPLETED - Ashtray mounted CB
-COMPLETED - FOR THE MOST PART - A **** load of electrical rerouting with fuse blocks
-COMPLETED - LandTanks Seat Extension mod

As I pull parts (i.e. springs, shocks, slider parts, possible bumper, etc.) they will hit the market and y'all will get first dibs:hillbilly: This ought to offset some of the cost.
The :princess: doesn’t know about all this, so let’s keep it between us ok ;)

The first pic (top left) shows the clear lens change. The second pic (top right) shows the stance since this will change significantly and finally the bottom left pic shows the sliders which will definitely change.
When I bought it
IMG_1107c.jpg

IMG_1105c.jpg
Most recent picture
IMG_0188.jpg
IMG_1107c.jpg
IMG_1105c.jpg
IMG_0188.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet 80 it looks great. Well Mud it the right place for resources there is a wealth of good info here and examples. I'm sorry to hear about the headgasket, I burn a little oil on start up and idling long periods on the trail but keep a careful eye on it. Its progressively gotten worse over the last 3 years but I'm not easy on it either. I'm at 170K now and plan to tackle the headgasket this winter too before the wheeling season kicks off next year. Will stay tuned to see your updates :cheers:

Thanks guys... The only update I have so far is, as promised, the UPS guy showed up just now and dropped off my gears, lockers, air compressor, master install kits, knuckle rebuild kit, and some swag (t-shirts and stickers).:D:D:D:bounce: Of course the HG comes first, but I'm starting to stock up.
IMG_1111.jpg

Thanks guys... The only update I have so far is, as promised, the UPS guy showed up just now and dropped off my gears, lockers, air compressor, master install kits, knuckle rebuild kit, and some swag (t-shirts and stickers).:D:D:D:bounce: Of course the HG comes first, but I'm starting to stock up.

Nice stash :D where did you get your gears from and did you go with the 4.88's?

Yea I got them from justdifferentials.com... They did a group buy here on Mud, that's where I got everything you see pictured. They are Nitro 4.88s... I'm second guessing them since 37's are now in the plan:meh: I don't plan on throwing these in until after duck season, but I could get a wild hair!:D

Yea I got them from justdifferentials.com... They did a group buy here on Mud, that's where I got everything you see pictured. They are Nitro 4.88s... I'm second guessing them since 37's are now in the plan:meh: I don't plan on throwing these in until after duck season, but I could get a wild hair!:D

I run 4.88s with 37's. It does pretty well off and on road.

You get more teeth with 4.88 and least teeth 5.29. I wish i had 4.88! Have Bryan at Cajan off road do it, make a date dont call go over there.

yea brian is da man when i t comes to gears , just he so bussy , with all the builds lifts and stuff , he can bearly answer hs phone i do have his personal email also he checks that ,, for to tell ya that mike lol ma bad , but hey he got em done for ya ,,

O yes he did Jon. it took me about six weeks to get-ur-dun. Bryan know is stuff.

yea been know ing him wayy back senc bronco south i helped hm move to that spot back in like 97 think i had my cj7 , and i went whelling with them back in the day when he had time to do that , he said hes gonn come to hot springs one time with us in that bad ass bronco ! good ole boy ther ,

Dude how's it going? 80 is looking nice. When you get your gears done install some solid spacers instead of the crush sleeve since you are not in a rush. It will save you some head ache in the long run (just my .02). Sorry to hear about the head gasket but on the flip side sounds like your going to be a :wrench: fool by the time its complete. The capability of the 80 is impressive.
Is this your 1st 4x4?

I run 4.88s with 37's. It does pretty well off and on road.
Is it alright to assume that this is on your turbo'd 80? If it is, did you run 37's and 4.88s on it before the turbo?

Dude how's it going? 80 is looking nice. When you get your gears done install some solid spacers instead of the crush sleeve since you are not in a rush. It will save you some head ache in the long run (just my .02). Sorry to hear about the head gasket but on the flip side sounds like your going to be a :wrench: fool by the time its complete. The capability of the 80 is impressive.
Is this your 1st 4x4?

Hey Albert, Thanks for the input, I ordered the solid spacers and they came in with the rest of the goodies... I should definitely know a lot intricacies about this vehicle when it's all said and done... This isn't my first 4x4... I had a **** in high school and college, then got a 2x Taco, then the Z that you've seen me in, but i've never modded a vehicle as much as I plan to mod this one.

Is it alright to assume that this is on your turbo'd 80? If it is, did you run 37's and 4.88s on it before the turbo?

Yeah, I should have mentioned it is on my turboed 80. The truck came with the tires and turbo so I don't know what it would be like in stock form. I run 35's and 4:11 on my other 80 and it isn't too bad.

It's been a slow process up to this point, but I got my shoes mounted and my head back! The sad part is that I have fallen victim to the "while I'm in there" syndrome and am waiting on my new timing chain, chain slipper, and all of the seals and o-rings for the front end. So my goal to have her done by Christmas will not be met. This HG is a time consuming bastard.
IMG_1183.jpg
IMG_1184.jpg

:clap::clap: Yea thats the way to do it. I agree 100% while it's down just as well get the other stuff done so hopefully you can fell safe about pushing it hard if you have to.

NICE rubber man they look big :D . Are those 315 or bigger ? I see the tits still on them.I'm trying to convince :princess: to get the same ones on the 4Runner. Let us know when you need help breaking in the new shoes.

Yea I scratched the 315 idea and went to a 37x12.50r17. Those are BFG KM2s and I can't wait to break them in. I may have the :princess: believing that making the ride in Feb. will be a good idea! :bounce: I got with the PQ guys up here and scored some 1/4" Inconel control line to plumb my lockers with!:D

I can allready see the grin on your face as you are typing all this . I think the 80 was a BAD idea for you. J/K
Man I hope Feburary pans out and we can get together and wheel. You will enjoy the BSLCA bunch around the camp fire just don't fall asleep in you chair :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom