Daphne FJ62 R2.8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just noticed in the narrative you note 80 series axles front and rear. What can you say about your experience with the parking brake on the rear 80 axle? Whats your experience as to operation, will the parking brake locking the rear tires and whats your take on how its working (will it easily hold the truck on a steep grade, when parking brake fully engaged)...I realize many things are new...just wondering what your take is so far. I'm contemplating going with a 80 series rear axle assembly....the parking brake integration / operation (how well it performs) has been something I've been trying to gauge feedback on.

Also how to you feel about the brakes in general....now with the 80 setup? I expect the ride has really improved based on the coil springs.

Last edited:
I just noticed in the narrative you note 80 series axles front and rear. What can you say about your experience with the parking brake on the rear 80 axle? Whats your experience as to operation, will the parking brake locking the rear tires and whats your take on how its working (will it easily hold the truck on a steep grade, when parking brake fully engaged)...I realize many things are new...just wondering what your take is so far. I'm contemplating going with a 80 series rear axle assembly....the parking brake integration / operation (how well it performs) has been something I've been trying to gauge feedback on.

Also how to you feel about the bakes in general....now with the 80 setup? I expect the ride has really improved based on the coil springs.
I’ve got an 80s rear with its parking brake I swapped over, works great, no issues... other threads have this as a concern too :meh:
Definitely can’t use the 60s parking brake cable as the 80s axle is about 2” wider on each side.
My parking brake cable swap is on page 79 of my thread.

What can you say about your experience with the parking brake on the rear 80 axle? Whats your experience as to operation, ...

Also how to you feel about the bakes in general....now with the 80 setup? I expect the ride has really improved based on the coil springs.

Ebrake is fine at holding the truck. I don't think it will have any problems holding the most built-up 60. I've seen some much heavier, fully-built 80s holding fine on steep trails.

The brakes themselves are better than the 62 was, but I attribute that mostly to new pads/rotors and rebuilt calipers. Those and the 200lb front end weight loss from the Cummins. If I'm not mistaken there's not much difference between the fronts on the two trucks. 300mm vs 311 w/larger pistons, larger MC bore, a bit more pad surface? I don't think you will see much cost justification for an 80 rear axle swap just on the added rear disc brakes alone. Most of the braking force is from the front end. Lots of other reasons to do the swap though obviously. Ease of brake service for one.

In terms of handling on the road, the front coils and 80 axle feel like they were designed to be on the truck. Vast improvement there. In the rear, the airbags are a bit stiff for an otherwise stock 60. I don't even have the spare or carrier under the truck and it's a bit bouncy right now. Will be fine once loaded up. Although, keep in mind I went from 30yr-old factory buggy springs. Not even OME. Anything would feel stiff by comparison.

Overall it feels very planted vs the dancing with a drunken Prom date handling it had before. I'm going to be very happy with it once it's all dialed in.

No plans for an intercooler?

There's a massive increase in braking capability between the front FZJ80 and 60 series brakes. Much larger rotor and caliper. I put 80 front brakes on mine.

Other than the one that you can't see in the photos? ;) It''s between the radiator and ac condenser.

Yeah, I couldn't make it out. Let me know how that configuration works out. I currently have one in front of the condenser on my 1HZ setup.

There's a massive increase in braking capability between the front FZJ80 and 60 series brakes. Much larger rotor and caliper. I put 80 front brakes on mine.
Matt, how much trouble was it to replace the stock FJ62 rotor & caliper assemblies with the FZJ80 brakes?

New seats/console, TT sliders and vent trims, Bowfin rack/lightbar, foglights, 70 series mirrors, SwitchPro and lockers wired up, new SS bumper bolts.

Using the old mirror gaskets until Jason reopens his webstore and I can get new ones.

IMG_20191228_094135.jpg

IMG_20191228_094050.jpg

IMG_20191228_094108.jpg

IMG_20191226_152612.jpg

IMG_20191226_153353.jpg

Are you glad that you went with the R2.8?

Mine is going to Torfab in about 2 weeks for the swap...I think it will be great for long distance trips.

Haven't updated this in a while since it came back with very nice paint. Just been picking at a couple of things since then in the midst of a big landscape project...

Replaced hood and cowl seals, added an engine cover, refurbed my mud flaps, installed some Focal speakers, @TheNeek sorted out the accelerator pedal height placement with a custom bracket, Found a good pedal stop replacement since the original one doesn't adjust up far enough.

IMG_20200718_222434.jpg
IMG_20200722_211624.jpg
IMG_20200720_154208.jpg
IMG_20200803_180130.jpg
IMG_20200719_203636.jpg

Got the split 50/50 seats back from upholstery and had the Tuffy console pad covered in the same leather as the back seats. It's the leather Scheel-Mann used on the front seats but slightly different dye lot. A bit darker than the fronts but what are you going to do...

IMG_20200807_130957.jpg
IMG_20200807_125406.jpg

Took her out and dragged the trailer around a bit. She won't win Pike's Peak but she'll get anywhere I care to go I imagine. Same rubber and rims all the way around which means two spares.

IMG_20200724_143842.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom